Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Very First Blog Entry!

Well, this is quite daunting! My first blog post. What should I write about? What should I say?

Well, Introducing Tenna Draper.

General Stats: Married, one child (grown), 1 dog (Border Collie - very rambunctious), 2 cats, 2 snakes (you read right...2 snakes), 2 sheep (one black, one white), with a love for animals, crafts and getting about town in my red sports car! (okay, no red sports car, but a girl can dream, right?)

Husband-great guy, works hard, doesn't play much, puts up with my addictions (which are many--fabric and yarn to name a few), hates that I spend money (what husband doesn't), and cries when I bend the credit card...you know...the normal husband stuff.

Currently knitting: One pair of white kilt hose (John Anderson's Kilt Hose) on one circular needle and a mohair triangle shawl, adapted from the New Style of Heirloom Knitting book from Japan (isbn: 4-529-03992-7).

Currently spinning: 10 pounds of chiengora (that's wool and dog hair for those uninitiated out there). It's taking me forever...of course, I've been working on knitting socks lately....



Finished recently: Jeanie Townsend's Lilac Socks, Knitty.com's Breeze (a sort of slipper), and a pair of John Anderson Kilt Hose (for me, the ones on the needles now are for a friend). And yes, that's my foot, resting on the kitchen table, so I can get a good pic. Ouch! OW! Cramp!
(putting foot back down now)







How I came up with the name for my blog: Well, that in itself was "oh, Tenna, did you draw a blank?" sort of thing. So, I asked my handy/dandy tarot cards..."What should I call my blog?"

I drew the 9 of swords. OH NO! I can't name my blog the 9 of Swords! (To those uninitiated, the 9 of swords often indicates lack of sleep and nightmares.) So I re-shuffled and drew the 8 of swords--which is "tied up with seemingly no way out"--another bust. So I re-shuffled and drew the 9 of cups...that's when it came to me...HA! To The Nines! Well, I can't get any better than that, and since I sew, knit, weave, quilt and various other fiber/clothing arts, I thought "To the Nines" rather appropriate, except for one thing. I am most comfortable in T-Shirt, jeans and tennis shoes...But on we go! Forward HO!

As soon as I figure out how to post a picture, I'll post some of my finished objects, put in some picks of my animals. Perhaps I won't show you my snakes, though. Many people are afraid of snakes, and some with good cause. Mine are not poisonous. That's a GOOD thing! However, they are constrictors, and so they eat rodents. This doesn't sound very palatable, but they are great for the snake. Now, you can buy them frozen! Imagine that! Frozen mice in the freezer! Unfortunately, my snakes are mouse snobs, and will only eat live prey. So I keep a large aquarium tank full of, well, rodents in our barn.

Rodents are very cute sometimes, but they destroy everything by chewing and well, never mind. We won't go into that thought process. I have some very cute mice. Not all mice are grey or brown. I have some that are black and white, tan, white, brown and white, cream colored, I even have one that is a seal-point, like a siamese cat. She's one of my favorites, and is the only one with a name--it's Minkie.

In addition to all my hobbies, which you will come to know if you follow my blog regularly, I also work outside the home. It's a serious inhibitor to my hobbies, and I don't enjoy it at all. Nuff said.

In addition to working outside the home, I also work inside the home (AKA housework). It's a job I deal with on a VERY part time basis. Hence, there is cat hair and dog hair...which is impossible to keep up with, always on my floors. It's very like dirty dishes. Once you finish washing a sinkful, somehow, more dirty dishes take their place. And as soon as I figure out how that happens, I will take steps to remove that capability!

Husband! Take me out to dinner!

Well, off to the LYS (that's Local Yarn Store) to do some "window shopping". Husband will be glad that I don't come back with the whole window.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new blog. I won't be visiting your home(Iam sure you care) cos I have snake phobia tho I don't call it a phobia I call it common sense.
Did you run out of yarn on the sock? ;-)
Greta colourway, btw.

Tenna Draper said...

It's actually a slipper, but yes, in fact, I did run out of yarn. I had 2 skeins (50g each), but one had been chewed up so bad, that it was literally unusable. So, what to do with only 50g of sock yarn? Make one sock? What good would that do?

So I made a pair of slipper socks, and it all worked out well.

Unknown said...

It certainly did work out well.