Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Today is the Day...

Tho I say that with a little trepidation in my voice...today is surgery day. Stress over it woke me ever hour on the hour, and three alarms this morning--one at 5:30am, one at 6 and one at 7am--God only knows why I need so many alarms, but there you go.

I have knitting packed in the car in case my stay lengthens to more than a few hours--although I doubt I'll have good light there. I almost wish I was having the surgery at the Ionia Hospital with Dr. Joyce--rather than at Sparrow, but again, there you go. I actually got my rings taken off and put away. My hands feel strange without them. I'm dressed in loose clothing, and have flip flops on my feet, rather than shoes--per the hospital instructions.

I hope that my bed is comfortable. I hate to be uncomfortable. I can be a real pain if I'm uncomfortable. Beyond the knitting, however, I packed nothing. I've done everything expected of me, except take my thyroid medication, which I felt would just upset my empty stomach, and they told me I couldn't even take a sip of water--so how am I going to take a pill that has no coating? It's a tough one.

Anyway, Hubby is going to drive me in of course. Mother-in-law wants to be called when I'm in Recovery, and of course, I'll call my own mother and son when I can speak intelligently. I have my purse, although I won't be allowed to take it in with me. Hubby will have to hold it in the waiting room. Imagine--I'm halfway through surgery, and my cellie rings? I did have dreams about that very thing last night. My cellie hasn't been far from my side since it's purchase--so it will be interesting to see how long I last without it.

Beyond that, nothing goes in with me except for my BOD, and that's quite enough--never mind that it's coming out with fewer parts than it goes in, but there you have it.

So now, I stew for an hour or so, waiting to go. What shall I do?

No comments: