Wednesday, July 25, 2012

From the Garden...

Our garden is really going bonkers since that last big rain we had, and I'd like to see a lot more of that rain (by the way, if you're reading this, God...) Look what my hubby missed from his collecting this morning...





You will note that it is missing it's dark green skin, and looks to be slightly salted. Why yes, I say...it's being eaten as I type this. Yum.

Hubby found two more zucchini in the garden today, and decided that he would make some zucchini bread. I sure hope he does something, because we are on a zucchini rampage in the garden. All of the squash are putting out flowers, and ...oh, wait for it. Yum.

The okra (that I won't touch with a silver fork) are about 3 feet high---that's just the plant. It hasn't put out any okra yet. Okra is funny. It grows straight up.

There's another cuke in the garden, but it's only half the size this one was. Yum.

I'm hunting down my zucchini recipes. Found a couple on Pinterest. I'm going to make zucchini patties and put them on toast with some marinara--or maybe some ranch dressing. That sort of sounds pretty good, actually--perhaps I'll try that. It's fun to eat stuff out of the garden!

We've got lots of green tomatoes. No red ones yet. Lots of green leaves to hold them up, though, and I'm looking forward to tomato sandwiches. Yum. Just a bite out in the garden right off the plant...just thinking about it makes me salivate.

The swiss chard is fine, and the potatoes are still underground, so I don't think we'll have trouble with them. It was a good plan not to plant corn this year. There hasn't been enough rain for the field corn, let alone sweet corn. I think it's a good idea that we're using wood pellets this year. We're hearing scary stories about corn going up 50% this last week...which makes it about $200 a ton. It's still a lot less than propane!

and, Yum.

mmffppqpotugha. Yes, and Yum.

Oh! I almost forgot! I found my wagon!

Okay, let me start at the beginning. In the summertime, I generally go to a variety of fairs and competitions for fiber and Scottish Highland Music. I bring along my spinning wheel for down times, when there's really not much else to look at or do. August is a hefty time, with a Scottish Festival on the 4th, a fiber festival on the 18th and another scottish festival on the 25th. Literally every weekend is busy with SOMETHING. There's also the Civil War Re-Enactment on the 26th. All of these, I attend and I take my wheel, a stool and some wool, and I demonstrate how things work for passersby.

Now, even though I own a portable spinning wheel, carrying all that gear can get really cumbersome, so I decided to start looking for a nice wagon. I've been looking around for a while and happened to pass by one at a garage sale. Hubby and I talked a bit about it, but I was a little too ready to get home and put up my feet, having trucked him around all morning. So we passed it up.

I started looking at Ebay and Amazon, and while they did have them, the shipping was just something else. So I tried Craigslist, and by golly, wouldn't you know, there was one on Craigslist this morning for only $50.

Still my beating (too fast) heart.

I called them. I emailed them. I left my phone # four different ways to Sunday, and finally at 4 in the afternoon, just as I was about to head out the door, my phone rang. It was him. I had almost lost it to another buyer, but he decided to pass it up the way I'd passed up the one on Saturday. Oh, yay! Oh YAY!

So I got in my car, and I headed to the seller's house (they were only 20 minutes from my work!). I purchased the wagon and took off with the biggest smile on my face!!! It's really a nice one--gently used, and still has the original shine on it. It has all-terrain wheels. It's big enough to carry my wheel, stool and lots of wool to keep me busy the entire month! I can even take stuff downstairs. I'm just beside myself with joy over this. And, in the spring, when the sticks have to be picked up, I can use it for that. Goodness knows that the wheelbarrow doesn't hold many sticks!

I'll have to get a picture tomorrow because the lighting isn't very good right now, but she's a pretty red wagon. I'm going to name her Tessie.

Yum. Last bite. Cucumber all gone. :(

It's so hot, that I finally put my hair in pony tails, and tied them up on top of my head. I feel better now. Must take care of the plate. Sad to see the cuke go, but it was SO good.

No comments: