Saturday, July 17, 2010

Impossible Hot!

I have weathered summers--lots of them, but this year, I'm steamed, wilted and melting in this horrible heat wave we've been having. It's been so hot for so long that I'm no longer interested in knitting--in fact, I've put away much of the yarn and knitting needles in favor of the bathtub.

Okay, maybe I'm going a little overboard--because when I'm in the air conditioning (our bedroom), I get quite active--in fact, I've been cleaning most of the day in here. I found the floor, by the way, and it was a real mess. I brought in the vacuum and got all the cat and dog hair sucked up. It's almost livable in here now. There's still a long way to go, but I'm getting there. I have to clear all the yarn out of a bin and stick it in the big tub--eventually, the big tub will go to the room downstairs.

Lots of things going on in the old household. My step-son's girlfriend is talking about moving in, so hubby is considering making changes to the basement to make the "apartment" a little more to her liking. First, however, power wash the deck and stain it again. That task, however, was set aside for a while until the baby birds under the deck flew the coop (which they did this morning).

I remember the first time we stained the deck, too. I couldn't walk for a week, and my rump hurt so bad from skootching across the deck so that I didn't stain myself into a corner. It's a big deck, too, 12 x 50 so that's a lot of skootching. This year will be different. I'm going to paint with a broom handle on the brush. That way, it's more like sweeping--which is something I can do quite well. Hubby will paint the spindles on the inside of the deck, step son will paint the spindles on the outside of the deck, and his girlfriend will either paint the stairs or the ledger boards. I don't think we're going to paint the underside this time.

And the baby birds learned to fly and didn't get washed away.

I had a class last night at JoAnn's. Three ladies learning to crochet. All three in various states of learning. One a beginner. One an intermediate. One a tad more experienced. They all had different needs. I hope that they all feel they got their money's worth.

I've been busy, busy, busy. I was on vacation week before last, but there was so much of life going on, that I barely saw the vacation. And the days just whipped on by. Going back to work was really hard. On Friday, I just dragged in--I've been having heartburn (really bad--even the Nexium isn't touching it), which caused me to start having headaches, neck pain and down into my shoulders. I even imagined it causing pain my my left thumb...which I THINK was mostly imagination. I came home and slept every evening, just a little catnap, to get my energy back. The Nexium wasn't working, so I took some Pepto, and the next morning, my whole tongue was BLACK--

Now that concerned me--because I'm taking Nexium, and it's supposed to keep that acid reflux DOWN, so now I have a second doctor's appointment to attend which gets me out of work for a couple of hours on Tuesday.

----

I got a snail mail from the Northern Sheep and Wool Festival today. They are having lots of classes that I would like to take, allowing Early Bird Fees. The one class I want to take is Creating the Yarn You Want, on Sept 25--an all day affair--for $80. Including gas to get back and forth--over $100. Meals? Motel? Camp? Okay, let's start the ball at $250 for a one day class.

That just isn't worth it. Maybe I'll just stay home this time.

It's getting close to time for hubby to be home. (checking) Yes, I'm right. He's home. He's going to discuss with his son about buying the corn stove for the basement. It will make life much more livable for the two of them. It will increase our electric bill, unfortunately. By quite a bit, I'm afraid. We'll see. Of course, with two of them downstairs, I will lay odds that the electric bill will skyrocket exponentially. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

There are lots of things to do outside now. The county came through and worked on the road some, tore out our telephone wiring (and the neighbors)then hooked our phone up to the neighbor's line.

That was a little hard to explain to the phone company--but all was fixed by the time I got home the day I called.

They also destroyed my one and only day lily and took out the mailbox. We didn't get mail for a couple of days, and today, after they finally put the box back in, we got a ton of mail--most of it real mail--as opposed to junk mail.

They put down grass seed and some straw "cover" and left a big pile of topsoil and gravel in our yard for the other side of our lawn, which always seems to wash out. Our hope is that we can get this raked down and seeded in the next few days to keep it from washing out in the next rainstorm...something which we've had about ever couple of days for the last 30 days or so since the heat wave took us over.

So, I'm thinking about dinner. I'm thinking real hard about it (not so much). I have no idea if the "boys" are going to go get the cornstove or not yet. I suppose I should put it off until I find out what's going to happen. In the meantime, I can go back to cleaning off the computer desk.

Wish me luck. If I don't come back in a week, send out a search party.

No comments: