Thursday, July 22, 2010

To The Torture Chamber!

I have always hated the dentist.

Well, perhaps not the dentist, but the dentist's drill.

I don't care how many advances dentistry makes over the years, a drill is still a tool of torture--second only to the Novocaine needle. They hide it until it's time to give you the shot, and they put it behind their back, and they distract you with their other hand in your mouth, and then suddenly, you're getting a shot with a long needle, back in the recesses of your mouth, that initially makes your tongue and lips tingle, and then some real pain, in the crook of your jaw, that nearly causes me to run for the hills!

But the drill?

Scariest piece of machinery known to mankind--they have all sorts of different tips that they can interchange, to use for every sort of drilling they might need to do to get every last bit of decay out of the hole they make in your mouth. All the while, sucking up your saliva until your tongue swells and dries out and sticks to the top of your mouth so you can no longer scream!

In case you didn't figure it out, I went to the dentist today. I have been having some jaw pain, and when I bit into a sandwich that had cranberries in it, a sudden and unexpected pain shot into my jowl. The point of the problem lay in a decayed tooth that I knew I had--but when I got to the dentist, they found another right next to it. So they filled both. A two-fer. I bet the bill will be twice as much!

I came home and fell sound asleep for about 2 1/2 hours. Pain just takes all the life right out of you.

Anyway, the Novocaine is wearing off, and I still have quite a lot of pain in my jaw from all the work they did in there--so I've taken some Advil to handle that. It's just starting to take effect.

It's chilly outdoors, and it's hot inside the house because the air isn't moving very much in here.

I began the front to the Blue Celtic Jumper. I'm pretty geeked about this. I took the charted pattern and copied it 6 times, then I pasted then all together to make one long chart for the entire sweater. I've been knitting like a mad fiend. I've finished 3 cables (that's 18 rows), plus the ribbing (17 rows) so you see, I've gotten quite a little bit done in a short space of time. Tonight, it's likely that I won't sleep too well, so I'll maybe get a bit of work done on it tonight. Of course, if I take much more of the Advil, I might be out like a light at 11pm anyway.

Which brings me to my general "mood" right now--it's really grumpy. I'm not much for company when my body aches, and a toothache is no friend of mine. I hate going to the dentist, because their work causes me just as much pain (if not more, for a little while), and because I'm still in quite a bit of pain, my mood is similar. I'm a pain. I know that I'm a pain. I don't care if my hubby thinks I'm a pain. All I want is for the pain to stop.

Did I tell you that they are going to fit me for a bite splint? Oh joy. I just love drooling all over myself during the night. Another thing to be a pain about.

So today was a decidedly difficult day, and it doesn't look like it's going to get too much better.

No comments: