Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey Weekend

Amidst guns and firecrackers, my dog, Mandy, did not enjoy the holiday in the slightest. She is still hiding out behind the throne, which seems to be the only safe place she can find.

Hubby is fast asleep and snoring, still at 10:30am. I don't know how he does it.

Our Thanksgiving holiday was happy and at the end of the meal, everyone was stuffed, except the turkey. Mom bought a 22 pound turkey, and the bones were basically picked clean. There were some new dishes, which will likely be on the table next year--a corn dish made with corn, jalapenos and cream cheese and a little something else, but I can't remember what it was. It was spicy, but it was SO tasty. We also had some Greek food to eat/sample. Grape leaves and another dish that looked a little like pumpkin seeds, but was some sort of pasta in a light marinara--it was spicy, but not hot, and I think I would have liked it much better if there had been a little more sauce--then of course, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans (not the traditional green been casserole, but beans with craisins and almonds), gravy and biscuits (Grands). After supper there was 2 cakes and 3 pies, and there was a lot of dessert left over.

I think that was the hardest part to believe.

There were about 20 people to eat the bare-nekkid bird, and everyone was in or out of the kitchen back and forth for this or that tasty treat. Black and green olives, pickled green beans and cheeses of nearly every flavor. It was pretty amazing how much food 20 people can put together! I gave my mother-in-law two hot pads that I've recently made, then sat down in a chair and prepared to continue to knit on my son's Christmas present. It's coming along nicely. I expect that I have another 2 or 3 full days of knitting before it will be done, and next week is going to be quite busy. I'm not worried any longer about getting it done before Christmas, but I am concerned about other things with respect to the project, and I may have to do some major grafting, but we'll see how things go.

Friday, I got the shock of my life. I had been out Christmas shopping most of the morning and was on my way home when my cellie rang. I almost dropped the phone when I saw who was calling! My SISTER called me! She wanted to know what I was doing and would I like to go to lunch? After I picked up my chin off the floor, I said yes, and then called my hubby to ask if he'd like to join us at a Chinese place. He declined, so I picked him up a sub sandwich and went home, dropped it off, then headed to meet my sister.

We had a great time at lunch, and I asked if she'd like to join me for some Christmas shopping, to which she answered in the affirmative. So we pulled out of the restaurant and headed to Walmart.

Now on Black Friday, I expected Walmart to be swamped, but there was hardly anyone there! Surprise for me. I think we spent about 3 hours just roaming the aisles, and then the shopping began. I bought two more gifts for my husband, she bought four or five. I bought a candle warmer and a couple of magazines for myself, and she bought some items for her house, too. I lost track of her two or three times. She found a gift for her husband that I thought would make a perfect gift for my son-in-law. My total haul-$50. Her total haul-$70. Time spent together doing stuff we love-priceless.

So I'm getting cold, and thought I would put away the knitting for a little while land warm up in bed with my snoring husband, but saw that the computer was trained on my blog, so figured I would stamp out a couple of words.

There are just times when I can't believe how blessed I am.

No comments: