Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Long Awaited...

Okay, I've promised and promised, and now it's Saturday, and I still haven't blogged about it, nor have I posted pictures--but here goes nuthin'.

Remember I talked about this contest sweater--well of course, it's all top secret, so I can't tell you (or show you) yet about it. Yes, I cast on. Then I find out I have two VASTLY different dye lots, and well, it was a mess. I did, however, find more of one of the dye lots at Hobby Lobby, and bought all they had of it--FIVE more skeins. Then it was rip city, all the way back to the lace, and then re-knit in the new colorway. Project is moving along smoothly now, and I have but one decrease to go before I can knit even to the underarm. I have approximately 7 inches knit so far, and it looks quite lovely.

Today, (and tomorrow) I'm teaching another child sweater. I purchased some variegated cream/brown and ruby red Deborah Norville yarn for this project. I'll be making the middle size this time for my granddaughter. I'll make the sweater a bit differently than the instructions tell me to, but that's sort of my way these days. I get these ideas, you know? How to do it faster. Easier. Perhaps makes it look a LOT nicer--basic finishing type stuff. I also got some cream and green, and plan to make an MSU sweater. I'll have to find some Spartan buttons, but otherwise, it's a project in my mind. Not even on PAPER yet.

Tomorrow, after class, I'm driving to Howell to pick up a rug hook. My girlfriend has finally talked me into trying it. I found a supplier for wool at Keen's in Mason, and so I'm going to take the plunge.

I got a new television for the bedroom the other day. Hubby has to study, and having the television on in the livingroom is simply an invitation to watch (sound or no), so I can't watch in there. The television in the livingroom is too big to cart from room to room, so I got a small one for the bedroom. I knit most of the night in bed. Not very comfy, quite honestly, and I might have to move things around to get some sort of chair in here...or not. There's not a lot of room in here once you consider the bed takes up more than half the room!

I sold the multi-colored baby sweater to a friend for her great-granddaughter. That will go in the mail, oh, probably at some point today. UPS is just down the block from work, so I'll get a box and package it up and UPS it out.

Last week, my friend Ray and I went to a concert at the MSU Wharton Auditorium. Of course, it had to do with bagpipes, drums and brass. The Irish and the Scottish Guards of the Queen's Own Highlanders. Some pictures (very blurry because it's a camera phone and not meant for dark rooms!)

07P1010007_01012006

Here's with the drummers just coming to the front for the drummer's fanfare--which was EXCELLENT, and really had my toes tapping and my heart skipping. There was lots of tricky stuff--backsticking, passing the sticks back and forth between players and more. They would change to a different manner of play in the middle and I was shouting "Yeah! Go, boys, go!" Practically the entire time. Hey, it was DARK! Who's gonna recognize me in daylight? OH! HUSH!

04P1010004_01012006

A very blurry bagpipe band--the tune was ending, and I was trying to get a picture with the drum major (the guy in front with what looks to be holding a golden bow) lifting his mace to end the tune-so I was in a bit of a hurry--and hence the blurry--but I did get the action of the mace, which surprises me.

01P1010001_01012006

Handsome, isn't he? Even with Red-Eye! This is one of the tenor drummers--he tells me that they use Tyler Fry's drumsticks, but cut them down shorter to reduce the vibration of the stick shaft which carries into the wrist and forearm and causes tendinitis. Well there you go. Almost of year of physical therapy could have been avoided with a Saws-All. Go figure. The look of him makes me consider...well, maybe not. He's probably half my age. But he was very kind, very nice, soft-spoken and sweet. Not too bad on the eyes, either.

There were more pics, but these were the best of the lot. I hope that you enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed the show.

Now, off to take a shower and prepare for work, then I can sit and knit on the contest piece.

No comments: