Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Winter Storm Warning!

I woke this morning, thinking I'd best get to work early, but here I am, it's 6:30am, and there's nobody else here, so thought I would get in a little blogging before people start showing up.

My rationale for coming in so early was to beat the storm that's coming. Sure, there was nary a flake at home at the hour when even the BIRDS are still asleep, but by golly, I wasn't going to end up stuck in a blizzard on the way to work.

Going home might be a different story, however, as the weather advisor (read that weatherman, because as in other areas, I'm sure, our weathermen are truly men)is claiming a foot of snow by the time it's all over tomorrow afternoon.

Well, I have news for you.

If the snow gets to be 3" deep, I'm headed for the foothills! Going home!

Last year, I got stuck in a storm that dumped only 8" on the ground. I couldn't get through to get home. Travel on the main roads was horrific, and I was consumed by the concern of people who simply do not know how to drive in deep snow! Of course, most of them, I waved at as I passed at 20-30 miles per hour while they were digging themselves out of ditches or doing donuts into the median. Safety first. My new mantra.

And IF the snow gets any higher than 3", and I'm able to get home without too much trouble, that's where I'm staying until the plow comes through--and that could be a while.

So get a clue, supervisor. I'm going to be knitting for the next few days.

Or crocheting...or spinning...or weaving.

Whatever floats my boat, I suppose.

On knitting:
Sox, of course, by Kroy-standard, run of the mill stuff. I have about half of the leg done. I'm using size 1 Addi Turbos 40" cable needles, and the sock is going to wear like iron. I just hope it doesn't feel like I'm wearing iron on my feet! They are VERY heavy. The yarn is a little firmer than fingering, wool/nylon blend. It should last forever.

The Contest Tank:
I have the hem done, and like it, got several rows into the pattern, and when I began the lace panel, I decided I didn't like it. So now, I'm in search of a different lace panel that I can use AROUND my body, that will look reasonably fashionable, without drawing too much attention to my hips--(Why no, Marvin, I am NOT a hippopotomus!) So I will stop at Threadbear on my way home to find a lace and eyelet book. It seems that there are dozens of books that offer vertical lace insertions, but not so many for horizontal lace insertions. Whatever were they thinking?

Princess Shawl:
Still languishing in the WIP pile until the size 0 Addi Turbo Lace Needle comes from Skacel. Sigh.

Cat Bed:
Coming along nicely in crochet, and looking cooler than I deserve. Sometimes a happy coincidence that evolves from stupidity is almost a no-brainer. Here I am, crocheting a circular, and get this idea to make it in the school colors of the local college football team (GO MSU!), and suddenly, things are spiralling. The look is fantastic, and it gave me an idea for that Baby Sweater that I'm making for JoAnn's. Which means a trip to JoAnn's for more yarn.

More Yarn? As if I needed more! I'm trying to get rid of my stash! Not add to it!

Sigh. Such is the life. Anyway, the cat bed...I'm nearly to the end of the bottom, and thought I would make a small wall (no more than 2" high). The cat will love it, and then I have to make another one (different colors) for the other cat, who usually sleeps in bed with me, and for that reason, he gets his own bed, including a little blanket. We'll see how that works out.

Felted flowers:
I have done 3 now--one is on the wall at JoAnn's. The other two are in the laundry pending felting. One is a poinsettia, the other a green-eyed susan. I like how the 'susan' turned out, and can't wait to see what felting does to it. I'm going to try my hand at a rose, and felt it also. We'll see how that works out. Leftover yarn to the max, so I'm going to make a project bag for carrying...what else...sox.

Then, I'm going to sew the felted flowers to the felted bag. I don't know. It's sounds good on paper. We'll see how it looks in reality--green, red and a yellow-orange? Should be an eye-popper.

All in all, that's the story. Hubby's doing well in school and I'm getting lots of work done here at the office (yes, I'll bet). On my way!

No comments: