Saturday, March 17, 2012

Living History Show

Well, today was the living history show--3 rooms full of vendors selling all kinds of stuff from rings to muzzle loaders. I walked all the rooms twice, two of the rooms three times. My feet are tired. I'm exhausted and ready for a nap, and it's already after 4pm.

After spending a ton of money there, I spent another $30 at JoAnn's--they had Sashay yarn in the pink and turquoise colorways, so I got them, a little more of the Seamist Spray in Vanna's for the Bullion block, and Martha Stewart's $40 package of interchangeable knitting looms. I have a lot to do, and I'm just too tired.

At the show, I got a couple of items for my chatelaine--a needle case and a pair of scissors in a  carrier. Then I found another pair of scissors that I thought might work in the carrier, but they are too heavy. They work GREAT though, as nippers, so I'm going with it. The other item was a kit of learn how to needle tat. Now, I already know how to shuttle tat--so this is going to be a piece of cake, as I'm told needle tatting is lots easier than shuttle tatting. So I thought I might try it.

I expect that I'll be heading for the Civil War Re-Enactment in Jackson this year after I spend some time at the Kalamazoo Highland Festival--since it seems that they compete most years on the same days.

I'll be spinning and doing demos most of the summer. I'm pretty excited about it all, except that I expect that it's going to be really hot all summer. Perhaps I'll wear something lighter, but as early as spring has hit (we're in the 80's today, another all-time high--to match the last 2 days!), I can say with a certainty that this year will be hot, humid, with lots of unpredictable weather.

The one thing I didn't do, is take pictures. It seems like I get so caught up in looking for the things I'm looking for, that I forget to look up and snap a pic. I will wager that there were at least 75% of the people there were in period dress. It was like going back in time. I found the fur trader, but he didn't have my silver fox mittens this year, which was a huge disappointment--as they were the reason I was there! So I got his card, and I'll chatter with him online. He said they will run $125--and I said "yes...?" As in, "what's your point?" :) When you know you want something, you want it no matter the price. These mittens are beautiful and totally warm. Better than wool. Warmer than wool.

So the season is on it's way, and I can put away all the dreariness of a long winter that wasn't, and start going outdoors and reminding myself what if feels like to walk around in the yard. I can't go far, since I sink down into a mole run every couple of feet. We must have lots of grubs in our lawn, if the mole runs are any indication...we're infested.

Well, I'm going to get busy on the Bullion Block. I got the first round of bullions done in Round 5. I'm about to start row 6. All the other people testing this block are WAY ahead of me. But I'm going slow, taking my time, doing it right. Reading the pattern and making sure it makes sense to me. So far, so good.

Pics when the block is done.

No comments: