Thursday, October 25, 2007

Are We there Yet, and similar questions...

Ever notice anytime you get in the car with kids, they are always asking "Are we there yet?". Even in the movie Shrek II, Donkey asks nonstop. Finally, Shrek and Fiona tell him they're not because they are going to the land that's far far away, and it takes a long time because it's so FAR FAR AWAY.

Well, my Japanese Heirloom Knitting project from the Knitting Beyond the Hebrides KAL has been one of those projects that has taken me a lifetime to finish. The sweater is done. The buttons are on, but I didn't like the neckline, so I ripped it out and redid it. Twice. I think I'm finally satisfied with how it turned out, but it seems a tad small for my thick neck.

Yeah, yeah...tell me that I need to lose weight again.

Now the button band gaps.

I can't win.

So, at lunch today, I'm going to JoAnn's fabrics to pick up some matching thread to sew on some grosgrain ribbon to give the button band some stability. I figure that once I finish that, I can then put it away and probably never wear it, because it frustrated me so much. There is something to say about the experts here, telling me to do the button band by itself with fewer stitches (of course, for just such a reason), but idiot moi, figured that a twisted rib wouldn't stretch that much vertically! God forbid that I should consider the horizontal stretch of ribbing--DUH! And because I knit the button band directly with the fronts, I would have to reknit the fronts entirely, and THAT ain't gonna happen!

So learn from my mistake children...do not knit your button bands with the rest of your sweater, or it will never "look right", and you will forever be dissatisfied with the final result.

So "Is it done yet?" No. But hopefully tonight I can finish it, then wind up the balls of yarn for my fair isle sweater, and knit my cuffs. Maybe I'll wear my Japanese Heirloom sweater to my class on Saturday? Not a bad idea, if it's done yet.

Today's Tarot Card: The Wheel of Fortune

Not a bad card, if you like to gamble and win. Especially in the upright position. This card speaks to taking chances on the long shot--going for it, bag of chips and the rest of it. Thinking of asking for a promotion--take it on. Thinking about trying a new technique to get work done? HO! There you go, now's your chance, it will likely work! But as with all things that spin, there can be a downside to the wheel of fortune....after while, things basically TURN ON YOU. It's a very inreliable card. One minute on top of the world and nothing gets you down, the next, you're so far down the ladder you can't see over the tops of your socks. It's not that someone's got their foot on your head. It's your own undoing that got you there. It speaks to the time when wisdom needs to step in to help you make the right decisions for you and everyone around you. Keep your friends close and your enemies on the other end of the spectrum....but don't lose sight of them.

The wheel is like a standard wagon wheel, upright, the happy happy joy joy is at the top, and the desperate weeper, with her head in her hands at the bottom, the rest are in various modalities of emotion from best to worst. It's the bipolar sufferer's card. One minute on top of the world, the next, the world is falling down around your head...and the road is long on the trip back up.

So take care today, this card says. Things will be good, but can go bad just as quickly and just as easily.

Have a good day ya'll, and I'll let you know if I get my sweater done.

No comments: