Friday, October 26, 2007

Roller Skating, Buffalo Herds and other non-sequitres..

It's been immortalized in song, recorded by Roger Miller, I believe...

You cain't roller skate in a buffalo herd, but you can do it if you've a mind to...

Well, yesterday, I saw the strangest thing. I'm walking to work in the morning, and the walk/don't walk sign is telling me to walk and not to walk at the same time. Does this mean to walk in place, I wonder? So I decide it's time to take a picture. I pull out my camera. Dead battery. So I laugh, shrug it off and cross the street anyway.

When I got home I charged up the battery, hoping that it wasn't fixed the next morning.

And sure as shooting, it was still "on the blink" literally. Flashing walk one second, don't walk the next, the holding both alight. There was no one standing in the middle of traffic, so I figured we were all safe.

I took a picture.

Now normally it's daylight, and pictures develop quickly on my digital camera, but now, it's 7am, and it's still dark outside.

I learned I cain't hold the camera still that long.

I ended up with red and white streaks, because the shutter stayed open so long, but since I was late for work, I knew I just had to try one more time, and then I would press on...but picture #2 was no better. So I headed to work, without the priceless picture.

Ah well, Kodak moment missed again.

I purchased a kit for the knitting. I'm taking a class tomorrow in fair isle, learning to knit with both hands. Yes, of course I knit with both hands normally...you won't see me walking down the sidewalk with one hand holding and knitting at the same time--quite a feat in my book, and probably in ANYBODY'S book for that matter...Anyway, the kit is "color your own" by Philosopher's Wool. Friends have told me that the yarn stinks. Well, it smells like Straw. It smells very strongly of straw.

I don't know about YOUR sheep, but MY sheep do not smell like straw. They smell like lanolin. The wool that I take off them, even after coming back from the mill, STILL does not smell like straw. It smells like...wool, I guess. Even after washing in DAWN dishwashing liquid, it STILL smelled like straw. Not as BAD as it did before washing, but still...like straw.

So I washed it, dried it, balled it, and left it in the open air as much as possible to help air it out an give it an opportunity to breathe. I figure that maybe it needs to get it's "sheepy-legs" back. Return to it's roots. And tomorrow, it will be knit.

Well, some will be knit tonight as cuffs for the sleeves as homework preparation.

I received the wool for a pair of socks with argyle and skulls on it. Another reason for taking the fair isle class.

Husband is watching horror movies. I don't like horror movies. We watched Jeepers Creepers II, and afterward, he wouldn't take the dog out potty. It was dark out there. I told him I'd do it, if he went with me, and HE LAUGHED AT ME! In fact, I told him a little later that I didn't want him out there with me, as he'd probably yell BOO at me, then laugh when I tried to shake myself back out of the tree to try and land on my feet like a cat. In reality, I wasn't as scared as I "let on", but he wouldn't go out in the dark--and the dog did go out in the dark, and the fearless woman and her faithful dog accomplished the feat.

I guess I need to get the dog chain back up to the house so that I can let the dog out without the boogieman getting me. It's just one of those things.

So the weekend has come around again, and there is knitting class, grocery shopping and visit the Ex-mother in law. Sunday is band practice. Busy weekend, and someone stole our gas container. I have to tell you that it's getting pretty bad when someone steals your gas can! I have no idea how much gas was inside it, but at the prices these days!! So, hard lesson learned by hubby..don't leave it out..out of sight, out of mind, you know?

I still can't believe someone stole our gas can. :\

Well I am off to knit the cuffs for my class. I hope that it goes well. I'm not expecting problems, but you know how these things go!!

No comments: