Sunday, June 24, 2012

Erring On The Side of Caution...

So very sorry for the lapse in posting (or should I say "lapses"). I do have a valid excuse.

My mother fell a week ago, and broke her hip. Now, we are just waiting to see what happens. The orthopedic doctor/surgeon, whatever the heck he is, has taken x-rays after a two week hiatus, and the prognosis is not the best.

He explained that my mother's hip is not healing on its own, in fact, the fracture now has "space" between it, which means it's getting worse (likely due to the fact that the woman just will not lie still!), and if she doesn't lie still for a while, it will ultimately require a hip replacement.

Not a really good idea for a lady of, um, how do I say this delicately? her age.

So we have her on calcium and Vitamin D, plus a multivitamin, plus her high blood pressure medication. She's grousing about the idea that she's never taken this many BIG PILLS in her entire life. I know what she's talking about. I take the same stuff (except for blood pressure).

So, there's a wait now for another couple of weeks to see if things get "resolved". In her case, this means that things start working the way they should and the bones knit themselves together. I'm a good knitter, but I ain't that good. So I bought her cross stitch instead.

So two weeks from now, I find out if my mother is going into surgery. I'm on pins and needles.

But I did complete a couple of hair scrunchies for one of my co-workers. She's going to present them to a niece for her birthday.

In the meanwhile, I doubt if I'll get a lot of knitting done until these two weeks are over. I'm simply a nervous wreck. It's probably best that I just stay home.

No comments: