Monday, January 4, 2010

Doings Today!

I was so fortunate today, as I only had to work for a half day, then a doctor appointment, then

Spinning!

Of course, I'm knitting, knitting, knitting, and in the space of the last blog post and oh, RIGHT NOW, I have finished 4 repeats of the border points on the Sharon Miller Princess Shawl.

Talk about motivated.

And I got my paycheck for the last week of classes, and believe it or not, I am REALLY pleased. Because I can't wait to spend it, and I already have an idea what I'm going to use it for! Isn't that what it's for?

Actually, I owe hubby some money, and by the end of this week, he will be paid off, and then I don't have to worry about the corn anymore until next season. Our supply should last until next season and probably into January, unless it becomes a great deal colder than it already is, and I believe that the worst of the weather is actually behind us. Usually, January and February are cold, but not so much snow as December. It's actually been pretty dry so far, and the Wooly Bear Caterpillar says that winter, spring and summer next will all be equally spaced. So--

Three months Winter. Three months Spring. Three months of true summer. Since December begins winter, there will be another two, perhaps two and a half months of winter, and then things will bloom again, and the sun will shine as it always does. Things will turn green again, and my favorite colors will pop out on the trees.

Why do I feel like I'm waiting for spring already? I do like Winter. I hate the cold and the bad drivers. Winter gives me a chance to showcase my knitwear that I've been working on all during the other seasons. Of course, THIS YEAR I am making a spring "wearable", and when I am finished, I will showcase it on Ravelry. You should look forward to this, because the project is going to be elegant, feminine and spring-y and probably VERY easy to knit (and perhaps a little crochet), and/or adjust for YOUR body. I also plan to enter it into JoAnn's newest contest offered in the store--Using a Red Heart Eco Yarn, you have to make an original article, and submit it to the contest for review, and first prize (there are 2), is a $1000 gift card for JoAnn's! I can always use a gift card, right?

First, though, I have to check my gauge with the yarn I chose to see how many stitches I have to cast on to make the article, then I have to measure how far a skein will take me, then I have to order more yarn (very likely)--so I have a little math to do first before I can actually cast on...but I am champing at the bit on this one!

Plus this, I have sold a few copies of my Comfortable Cable Slipper Pattern (see right panel), and I think this one might be my ticket to stardom. You know, for years, people have said that I'm talented--and it's one of those things where you think to yourself "ah, but you're just being nice..." but when someone actually buys your pattern so that they can make it, the compliment is written in cement! It makes you feel validated, and that it's NOT just words, that you really ARE talented.

If only I had the sense to sell my patterns years ago! :)

But this next pattern, coming up, is going to be so special as to pretty well dwarf the compliments on the slippers, socks and hats. This one will be so professional looking, that people will wonder if it's really possible for them to re-create it. And I think it would be VERY possible. It will take time and it will take work, but I'm looking forward to it, and I'm up to the task!

Watch for it here!

No comments: