Sunday, January 17, 2010

Martin Luther King Day

You know, this day is an auspicious day. I like it because I get a day off work to continue to do things I like to do, instead of what I have to do in order to make a living. But there you go. That's about the end of it.

I do, however, remember the day of Dr. King's funeral. My 4th grade teacher (oh HUSH!) Mrs. Eckert had brought in a television from the video folks (yes, of course they had video in the dark ages!) and we watched the procession. Personally, I didn't know the man, and didn't keep up with current events at 10 years old--I can only assume that Mrs. Eckert did. The effect was one of those "indelibly imprinted on my brain" types of landmarks that really don't seem to make a lot of sense. Having gotten older, I've watched some of the documentary, and find MLK to be quite a historical vignette, figuring very prominently in the annals of the past, and in the present for the people he represented, just as Elvis figures for others. An important man, yes. For me? Not so much. But to have such an impact on the history books--to have obtained his "10 minutes of fame" and to have, as the result, HUGE political change gives me hope that sometimes, one man CAN change the world...or at least his or her little corner of it. Even then, however, not much impact on me personally, except for the day off, which I do appreciate, and I watch the documentaries faithfully--usually--but there is no time to spend today honoring the man, which is a little sad really. I know that in other cultures, this day is nearly considered a high holy day. Yet not for me. Certainly perhaps more than Christmas, but not Easter. Perhaps on par with the day Kennedy died--although I don't feel any real connection to Kennedy either.

Oh enough with the soul searching already. I am happy to have the day off, and I don't want to spend it lamenting the loss of an admittedly good man. Just like Elvis--he's DEAD already. Get over it!

So today, I have good news...I finally finished the border for the Princess Shawl--last night in fact, at 11pm or so, I worked the last row of the 85 points (people, that's 1700 rows!). Now, I have to pick up 865 stitches all along the edge of this piece. Ten stitches per point, plus 15 stitches evenly distributed across the length--which is approximately one stitch every 5th or 6th point alternately. But OMG! 865 stitches? Any idea how difficult it is to keep TRACK of 865 stitches when you're just starting to pick them up? So I thought I would give the piece (and my throbbing eyeballs) a little rest today, and work on something else--until I can lay my hands on the needle I'll be using and that might be a few days--you know, until I get my paycheck? We need milk! But I feel pretty good about having finished this. Somehow, I believe in my heart that the rest will be a BREEZE comparably, with areas that are mostly "knitting", where the border WASN'T--with repeated stuff that may or may not be easily memorized--but there I go, thinking again. I promised myself that I wasn't going to do that.

So instead, I thought I would plan a little for the sock class this morning and the Child Sweater class this afternoon, with a little break in there for spin day. The sock class involves learning to turn the heel and picking up stitches, plus Kitchener. Of the two, kitchener is often the most difficult for people to wrap their head around, but seriously, it's very easy once you have it down--all you really need to remember is to work it loosely, then go back and snug everything up, then weave in the end REALLY WELL, so things don't come undone.

What? You've never had a toe come undone?

But I have to shower this morning, and I need to make up some more business cards, and I have no idea what I'm going to put there! I suppose I'll figure it out. In the meantime, everyone watch television today. I'm on my way to a busy day!

No comments: