Sunday, October 30, 2011

Knit and Crochet in the Dark

I hear a huge snowstorm hit the east coast from Pennsylvania to Vermont, and that some areas got as much as a foot of snow. I also hear that over 300,000 people are without power.

I feel for these folks--especially women. There's just about nothing you can do without heat and lights in the cold weather--except go to bed, and some people are okay with that at two in the afternoon, but there's only so much time you can spend in bed before your back starts to scream "ENOUGH ALREADY!"

Of course, my thoughts turn to knitting and crochet--and I've tried knitting in the dark before. It doesn't work really well, even by candlelight--even by lamplight--even by FIRE light...which if you get too close to the candle or the lamp, things are prone to catch on fire...

I purchased four balls of kitchen cotton--one of them in the Christmas colorway, and made one of those diagonal potholders. It turned out really pretty. The other balls are slated for potholders, too, and the leftovers will go on the Log Cabin Scrappy Do, because I'm running out of colors in my scrap bag. I also got out my stash of Dazzleaire, and started a Mile a Minute crochet afghan. Sadly, I only have light colors at the moment. I need some dark stuff to set it off. I'm almost afraid it's been discontinued. I'll give the search a good college try, and then I'll just make it a scrappy afghan to use up what I have.

This morning it's cold--inside and out. We have electric--as we're not in the snow belt this morning, but there was a hard frost, and everything looks like it's covered in snow--the cars, the grass, the leaves. I allowed my dog outside this morning, and the frost chilled her sensitive little feets, and she asked to come back in within record time. She doesn't like cold feet. I have footies for her, but she tends to flip them off pretty quickly. She's comical to watch walking about with slippers on...something like a crab...one foot at a time. I'll have to find them and put them on her and take a movie to show you, because it's quite something.

I also purchased a crochet afghan book with 66 patterns in it, and they are all just scrumptious throws. As cold as I am today, I think it wise to get started right away. It's what prompted the mile a minute, and getting started back on the Scrappy Do, as I've been sort of resting from both knitting and crochet for a little while--trying to decide what to make and when to make it. The doctor put me on some new medication, and I don't think it's working for me, because instead of going gun-ho with everything, most everything is slowed WAY DOWN, and I've pretty much lost a lot of interest in life in general, which isn't what the medication is supposed to accomplish. In a word or so, I think I have SAD.

Not that I'm unhappy, but seasonal affective disorder is almost as bad. You get to a point where you think everything is dying and you just can't bear to watch it anymore. Sigh.

Okay, enough of that. Where's my sweater? Brrr.

Since I finished the potholder last night, I have a bit of scraps to put on the scrappy do, and I can be warm while I work on that. This guy is HEAVY, and he's not my brother. He'll make a wonderful addition to the bed this winter. He might even be too heavy. We'll see.

I had a flu shot on Thursday, and like clockwork, I paid homage to the porcelain god Friday night. I keep telling people that the flu shot makes me ill, and they keep telling me that it's a dead virus. Do you know how small a virus is? What if just one is playing possum?

Well, enough random thoughts. Hubby is awake and out of bed, and may want to go to breakfast. That's a resounding YES for me--even though my chest still hurts from the heaving on Friday night.

But you know, it could have been the pizza.

No comments: