Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Here's a Thought...

My border collie, Mandy has always had this "habit". She licks me constantly--beyond the normal "I love you" type licks. It's almost a compulsion..no...on second thought, it *IS* a compulsion.

She even follows me into the bathroom, sits down in front of me, and if my hand isn't readily available, she licks my knees.

And while I am her "Alpha", she's not THAT timid--that she would be constantly seeking my approval for something.

But I think I have this figured out.

She's licking me (well, especially in the bathroom) as a "mother's instinct". Because a mother dog licks the puppy to make it go #1 or #2. Could it mean that *she* also has to go outside?

So I tested my theory this morning.

I went to the bathroom, and she followed me. Mind you, she had already been outdoors and done her business--and she started to lick my hand. I said "Just a minute, let me finish!" So she lay down at my feet and waited. When I got up, so did she, and I asked if she needed to go outside, and she got all excited.

I suppose that was because she felt she'd finally gotten her point across?

Communication is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, I put her outside, and sure enough, she went #1, then right back to the door.

And I let her in.

Hmm. This one might be for the record books. We'll test again this evening.

1 comment:

cici said...

hahaha.. you might be on to something here:)