Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

Well, guess what? It's Christmas Day!
Santa came last night and brought presents for our grandkids--nothing but more snow for us, though. I don't think I've ever been so sick of snow so early in the season.

So while I sit here and type, I've got my coat, hat and scarf on, along with the warmest sweater I own, and my coveralls--over wool socks and my snow boots.

I think I need defrosting. We're prepping a turkey for the oven, and he felt warm to me--I checked for a pulse!

You might think it's cold in the house. Nah.

It's a whole 60 degrees on the floor, which means it's warmer at the ceiling. Trouble is, we don't walk on the ceiling. So I suppose that qualifies as "chilly". Still, I don't want to turn the heat up any further--we only have so much corn to last the winter, and if it's a particularly cold winter (YES!) we could run out of fuel too early in the season, which would not be pleasant. We won't turn off the heat until April 1, and there's still a chill in the air then, but not enough to heat every day.

So the giblets are cooking, and it already smells like turkey in the house. The bird itself is in brine. I asked Jeff if he'd massage the bird, and he gave me a look that seemed to ask if I had remembered to take the prozac this morning (HA!). He pulled out the neck from the butt end--funny place to have a neck--but as he placed it in the pan, he said AHA! He had a boner!

Oh, dear.

So I guess you know what's on his mind (still).

Nothing planned for the day, the actual day--Jeff's got some sort of sinus infection, and the rest of his family is grieving to death of his ex-mother-in-law. His ex-wife decided that her mother wouldn't have wanted to be on life support, and basically made the decision to let her go.

This morning, I pulled cards on my ex--which told me that he was contemplating divorce.

It's snowing, but not hard. I don't expect any accumulation.

My family is meeting tomorrow for my birthday, which leaves Jeff and me and the animals to celebrate Christmas day. I don't think I've ever stayed home on Christmas Day. It's really weird. My body wants to "go go go"!

So, I knit a garter stitch dishcloth, nothing fancy, with some of my cotton scraps. I might get back to my grandson's hat, but sort of tabled it when we canceled breakfast yesterday due to the death in their family...so...

It's too bad, because it was really warm yesterday, and all the fenderburgs dropped off my car, leaving large blackened snow clumps below near the tires. Then it rained, and they sort of froze there a little bit...and I had to shovel them out from under my car.

So now, I am inside, freezing my butt off, watching a flicker at the suet feeder. You know, I really wonder sometimes if they get headaches? The way he's going at that suet, you would think so. I wouldn't think it would take much to drive a nail into suet, really, but it might be slightly frozen--more so, I think, than my butt at present, but who knows.

And then I start to wonder about my dog--I did get her some MukLuks--doggie style boots--so her foot pads didn't freeze to the concrete. She doesn't care for them, and she walks like a duck with them on her feet, but her feets don't freeze. They are long, for her long legs, so it takes some doing to put them on, and I worry that I won't get them on before she has an accident on the floor, so sometimes I let her out without them, and when she comes in, she holds up her feet, switching one to the other--which is sort of a funny little dance until she gets into the house where her foot pads warm up.

I suppose that I'll get back to my grandson's hat. Still not sure how I'm going to finish it. The birds have gone to roost, and so should I. Merry Christmas to everyone.

1 comment:

cici said...

Gosh that was a mouthful. Never a dull moment at your house. Merry Christmas, I hope you warm up