Saturday, August 27, 2011

It Was Monday ALL WEEK!

A famous "Garfield" saying, but it was true enough for me. I think it is possible that I worked off TWO butts. But Friday finally came, and I was able to walk out the door, still alive, mind you, and get into my car and drive away. Only to return a few hours later looking for mounting hardware for our outdoor antenna and a "booster" from Best Buy. We also ate out at Fire Mountain; however, the food just wasn't very good last night.

On the way to the office, I snapped this pic...


Which was indicative of my foul mood for most of the day. Foggy, foggy day. In places, it was so foggy that coming up to it, the "cloud" was DARK. Sort of weird when you were driving up to it.

When finally I got home, I knit my most difficult row on the shawl, and happened to get up for a glass of water, and looked outside, and in the darkness..was..

THE BOOGIE MAN...well, no, actually not.

But rather, THIS:


And I asked my husband to get up and come look. The neighbors had cut down some of the fir trees on their property and lit the pile on fire last night. Being the shutterbug that I am, I had to get my camera and take a picture. The flames shot up 50 feet into the air. You can see that they go higher than the phone pole in the foreground. The fiery soot blew up another 20 feet higher than the top of the pole. My husband's statement was

"That's impressive!"

So let this be a lesson to you little children. When the fire ranger tells you there's a wildfire coming, you need to get out of there FAST. Pine trees burn fast and hot. This small pile of brush burned down to almost nothing in the seconds it took to get my camera, yet it was still a 50 foot column. It was much larger just seconds before when my hubby finally got off his butt out of his chair to take a look.

So now, it's Saturday, and only 6:10am. I am waiting for my friend Ray to arrive so that we can head to the Kalamazoo Highland Festival. I am taking wheel and Woolie Winder, some fleece, my knitting, and a chair to sit in. The cards weren't on the ball yesterday. My credit card didn't arrive. I contacted the bank, and they said a week to 10 days, so I have a while to wait. Darn. I was hoping to get that card. So all I have is $20 to get me through the day because I had to buy gas last night for all the running around we did. I would have had less, if I hadn't returned pop bottles.

So I asked the cards if "he who must not be named" would be at the festival, and drew the Ace of Cups reversed. Which doesn't make a lot of sense with relation to the question, but perhaps it means he wants to, but cannot. The next card was the Knight of Wands, Adventure. So it looks like he's got other, more interesting plans. So that's cool.

It's too bad that my friend can't make it. She tells me that the father of a close friend of hers died, and she's been asked to attend the funeral. Well, it's hard to believe she'd rather go to a funeral than with me. I guess I make it sound like she doesn't care for me a bit--but she wanted to get out of the house, and I offered to take her to the festival with me. Maybe she decided it would be boring, all day, doing nothing but knitting and listening to bagpipes play, but that's MY KIND OF DAY!

Hard to believe it wouldn't be everyone's, but you can't please everyone, right?

Oh, and last night? Skunk outside my bedroom window! Ew. Stink. Makes you wonder how they reproduce. Makes your eyes water. Makes you wish you had no sense of smell, just for a few hours. It woke me up long enough to look at the clock and turn over and go back to sleep. These animals (and I use that term loosely) come spring and fall to pass through the yard, and some say it's how you know you live in the country. You know what I say? I'd rather smell a dog fart--close up! I mean, BLOW THE FLOOR! (Dating myself there.). I truly dislike hate skunks.

Well, I managed to spend a few moments telling you about my Friday. I'll tell you about my Saturday when I return. Hope for pictures, because I hope to take quite a few. See you later!

No comments: