Tuesday, August 14, 2007

TADA! Sock yarn arrives in the mailbox!

Well, the yarn finally arrived for the friendlysocks KAL, but I need to know which pattern to use, because I am not apparently all that astute at picking up the instructions that were written in the variety of email (emails?) that I receive in a given day, numbering somewhere in the 2-3 hundred.

So now, I’m waiting for the list mom to tell me which pattern in the book I’m supposed to be recreating, and then I will begin. These I’ll have to work along with Ray’s JAKH…still haven’t finished those.

I purchased the book Fair Isle Knitting Simplified, and the companion video with Ann’s special technique for knitting two colors in the round without getting the thread tangled. What? Do I knit two handed? Well, no, not yet. I “CAN” knit with yarn in either hand, I prefer to knit with yarn in my right hand, and can knit several different configurations with my right hand. I can also knit backwards (for those of you who understand Entrelac, knitting backwards is a must!), read Japanese charts and do two socks on a single long circular needle using magic loop. I can do them on two circs, and also on double points, but prefer the magic loop method. So this new technique is just one more in my arsenal of skills. I’m looking forward to using it with the KAL socks. It means that I will need to separate my yarn into 4 balls—and having seen the ball of yarn now, I’m not sure that I’ll have enough. I will have to weigh it before I re-ball it to make sure. I might have to use some scraps for the toes, since I do know the pattern is cuff down.

I’ve been reading the book, though, and in the early pages, Ann’s husband writes about the early days of Philosopher’s Wool. From the time he helped build their house in Canada, right up to the present day. It’s really quite interesting. He got the name because he was studying mystical philosophy in college. So the name of their business is a combo of his choice of profession and hers (spinning/knitting/raising wool), but it nearly sounds like he’s doing ALL the WORK. I haven’t seen much of any statements such as “and while I was toiling in the hot sun building the house, Ann was…” There is a lot of I did this and that—granted, it’s his turn to shine, but the “oh, Ann was really in to knitting right now”, just doesn’t cut it. The whole thing has me wondering if she was in the mix at all! The way it’s written, it’s as if she’s only a second thought…I’m sure he didn’t mean it to sound that way, and perhaps I’m a little too “man bashing” here, so I’ll shut up about it. It’s a good read, so far, nevertheless. I’m enjoying it.

While I was on my lunch break today, I found some kits in Philosopher’s Wool at the LYS. The patterns didn’t necessarily shake the brambles in my woods. Pretty, yes, but not really my own personal style, I guess. If I use Ann’s technique, it will be on a pattern of my own choosing—but I might just dye some of my own wool and carry out plans for a pullover using one of the fair isle charts in the book. I noted that the kits in the store were mainly cardis for ladies and pulls for the guys. I’m sure there are more patterns, but this seemed to be all the store had in stock at the time. While I could have adjusted the cardi pattern into a pullover easily, the colors just didn’t shine for me. The book mentioned that Philosopher’s Wool prefered to use muted, tweedy colors, *HIS* favorites, by the way, in an effort to help in combining “colorways”, and I agree with that method of thought. It’s just my inner child loves brights. The brighter the better!

So, with that thought, I believe that I will go back to my knitterly chair, and read some more of this fascinating story.

Wow. It just started to rain. That’s going to kill the breeze, but the rain is needed badly. Crops around here are really suffering.

Tarot card for the day: The Star.

This card is a very lucky card. One of those “wish upon a star” type cards. It bodes well for the one who draws it. It means a lot of other things, but that ultimately, the wish will come to pass.

No comments: