Friday, August 31, 2007

More Yarn...Pant...pant...







Okay, LYS had some new yarn in, and (sniff) I succumbed. I also purchased some dk wool to knit a pair of socks from the Six Socks Yarhoo Group. Name of the sock is "I love Gansey". It's on the list of to-do's.






First however, I should say that I finally finished Ray's kilt hose, and bagged them so the dog and cat hair doesn't get all over them. While knitting, I can pretty much pick out any stray hairs, but once I lay them down...well, let's just say it's like a magnet....




Then, I took a 3 hour nap, after which came the trip to the LYS...where I went off my yarn diet and bought out the store.





I finished spinning the singles for the Sheep to Sock that I purchased at the Michigan Fiber Festival. The resulting yarn will be lovely.





I un-skeined one of the bumble bee yarn skeins I bought at Fiber Festival, and wound it into a ball. Tomorrow, I will separate it into two balls in preparation to knit Breeze from Knitty.com, and then I will start knitting said Breeze socks for my ex-mother-in-law. The other skein is for another pair of footies for myself.




Husband did not stay home today as he planned, so I got quite a bit accomplished--as you can see, however, tomorrow he plans an early trip to the paint store to get stain, and then we'll be working on the deck for the rest of the weekend. Therefore, it's likely you won't hear from me for a few days, and even more likely, not for a few days after that, while I try to let my body recover. Work is so unhealthy for me. :)




I'm trying to figure out how to make the sweater on the cover of Knit N Style. I really do like this sweater, but I can't justify the cost of the yarn in my head. I probably should have purchased more merino/tencel at the Fiber Festival and spun my own--maybe even dyed it. Perhaps that's something that I can do down the road. I've not really decided yet one way or the other. It takes a long while to spin up 1500 yards of yarn.




Yesterday, I dropped in to visit with my ex-mother-in-law. The nursing home residents were pretty unsettled...they didn't have any electricity all day. The generator ran essential equipment, and thank goodness it was a pretty nice day and not too hot, otherwise, there would have been huge problems. Anyway, there was nothing to drink, and the food was late--in fact, I understand that the administration had to have it shipped in! Mom told me that one of her son's (this would be Rick, not my ex, but his brother) was in the hospital, and she wasn't really sure why. Well, I decided to drop into the hospital on my way home, and give him a visit too, as well as give a little support to his wife. Imagine my surprise, when I find him in the STROKE unit, hooked up to telemetry like a fly in a spider web! The doctor's think he had a heart attack at some time, but couldn't find any evidence of it. He was on vacation, so stress wasn't necessarily an issue. He woke up Wednesday morning with chest pain, back pain, and shoulders hurt so bad he could barely catch his breath. To me, that sounds like a pulmonary embulism...and I'm not even a doctor! Ready care rushed him to the hospital, and in typical male fashion, he promptly told them that he didn't need all the fuss.




Yes, shut up, lay down and take your IV. He passed the stress test they gave him--so they took x-rays of his lungs. He's a heavy smoker, so they put him on that medication that's supposed to help you stop smoking. I've had friends go on that same pill, and it worked really well for them. Both have been smoke free for years. (On the other hand, I didn't notice that he was on fire, either...a condition which could have been alleviated with a glass of water, rather than a pill that cost $150. His wife counters his complaint that "it costs too much!" with "well, if you smoke a pack a day at $5, in a month, it's paid for!" I like how she thinks!) :)





Time to put the dog in the bedroom and feed the cats. Then I can put myself to sleep as well. It's been a long, productive day, with a good deal of rest that was much needed.

No comments: