Sunday, March 20, 2011

Living History Show

I drove to Kalamazoo for the Living History Show yesterday. I wish I would learn to take more pictures! I didn't take a single one! The place was packed, shoulder to shoulder with VERY little maneuver room--and HOT. Anytime you get that many people in a little space, it's very hot, and the air didn't move much, and you just felt like you couldn't breathe. I am not claustrophobic in the slightest, but when I am hot and can't breathe, I have trouble.

Also, when I have to stand there and wait for a dozen people to move, my legs cramp up. It's hard on me.

So when I got home, I took a picture of all of my finds at the show, and they are considerable. I have no idea if these will help me in my attempt at the perfect bullion stitch (especially the knitting needles) but  here goes.

From the bottom to top:
Steel Vintage hook-looks like it might be a size 7
A Bakelite Crochet hook-probably a size F or G
A Susan Bates Tungston Steel crochet Hook-size 1B
A Brittany Birch-size 4-which will break in no time because the shaft is too flimsy
A rosewood hook in size F or G
A pair of size 4 Bakelite knitting needles. A very rare find. These cost the most.

I also bought 2 big eyed beading needles.

But not a Bullion Crochet hook to be found, which surprises me.

I searched You Tube and found the following video describing the technique. Never mind that it's in Czech or Russian. The woman is accomplished! Plus I like her technique over and above all the other videos for the Bullion Stitch.

I figure if a picture is worth a thousand words, this should be worth at least a million...what do you think?

I came home early and spent time with my husband. We drove to Lowe's and bought a freezer, because ours has died, and they are delivering it today. We have a busy day ahead, dumping out food that has gone bad in the freezer. They should arrive between 2pm and 4pm. I also contacted Moen for replacement parts for our bathroom faucet. Once I settled down, I crocheted a block for an afghan and began a second, and hubby and I watched Tom Selleck videos (never tire of watching that fellow!). After this, we retired to bed, and that's when I got sick. I was up most of the night, and today I'm exhausted. If it doesn't let up, I'll be calling into work tomorrow.

No comments: