Friday, June 12, 2009

Thursday Evening

Some exciting news, and a real boost for my psyche...

Ray and I drove to Flint Scottish's band practice and sat down with the drummers and worked on the competition scores for this years drumming. I was asked at least a half dozen times if I was planning on returning to the band. So was Ray.

How nice! They would like to have me BACK! I'm thrilled!

I must say it was the most fun I've had in an evening in a long time.

Now if I could just learn the score properly, instead of just by "sound", I'll be all set. I love to read the scores, but very often it takes longer for my hands to "do" what my eyes see on the page, than for my hands to do "close to" what my ears hear--which is often quite different.

So while Ray learns by what he hears, and approximates what's written fairly easily, I have to see it and hear it MANY times in order to play it.

So tonight, I'm going to copy the music into drum note and see if I can play it here at the house--and go from there. I honestly don't know if I would go back to the band, but it might be fun to compete with them in Detroit in August.

Can I do it that fast? Well, that's a good question, and I'm not sure of the answer, but I'm willing to try it!

And if you're reading this, ex husband, it should come as no surprise that they can use all the drummers they can get, as the Windsor bunch abandoned them for all the work they did together and moved on to another group to give them a taste of victory, I suppose. Just a bunch of travelling troubadours, I suppose, or perhaps just troublemakers. If you'd like to make another appearance, I could offer an olive branch--although I don't think your back could deal with the drum. I know you said that you're "not interested in bagpipe bands anymore" (yeah, right, like that kind of interest just goes away!) but if that's the case, then why did you come to the Grand Rapids practice at my offer?

Anyway, next Thursday is the next practice at the church. The address is on the website.

Oh, and Flint took first place in Grade V in Alma this year, both Saturday and Sunday.

But there are things I would like to discuss with you, and this is not the venue to do it in.

No comments: