Thursday, October 22, 2009

Music to My Ears

I have had a love of music throughout my life. I started playing guitar in 5th grade. I switched to drumming in my 30's, and I'm still trying to grasp Bagpipes.

I need a teacher for it, though. While I know where to find one, it is very expensive for just a half hour lesson. Beyond that, my brain doesn't work with all those little black dots--and I get confused easily. I need to be able to look at a note and say--it's a C and be right--without thinking about it first. Sort of like how I know that a-p-p-l-e spells apple, or that ar$e is a typo for arse and several other typos. It comes as naturally as breathing.
So why music doesn't come so easily anymore is beyond me. I have to think about it. I no longer have perfect pitch.

Well, maybe I didn't have it to begin with, but there you go. I'm going to try to learn bagpipes again. We'll see how far it goes.

No comments: