Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Unreasonable fears

ALLEGROPHOBIA: Fear of being late and getting stuck behind an old lady on the M1 doing 12mph while keeping her left-hand indicator constsantly flashing.

This phobia is related to hating to wait. It's actually a response for those of us who think that the world should revolve around us. We hate to wait, and worry about being late, because, of course, if you're late, you'll have to wait even longer--especially in the case of the doctor's office.

Am I right, or WHAT?

Anyway, I hate to be late, and I hate to wait. It's the control freak in me. If I'm early--or right on the dot--I figure that I'm prepared, and that makes me feel like I'm in control of something.

But then again, consider...

The doctor's late, and I still have to wait. Oh, that just peeves me to no end! How come other people don't live by my rules for myself?

How narcissic is that?

So I quietly SEETHE while I wait. Just because I'm usually early or on time doesn't mean that the other person has the same limitations on their time (or availability), and so I have to keep telling myself "it's okay that this insensitive boob is making me late for everything else that *I* have to complete in my day! I'll just call so and so and let them know that I can't make it because my doctor doesn't work on the same schedule that I have to work with--after all, he's got a college education, and I'm just a nut case."

So when I end up behind that little old lady on the highway, I can relax, and know that while it inconviences everyone in my life who is waiting on ME, and inconviences me by making me wait, and wait and wait, I can sit behind the wheel and say "In the grand scheme of things, it's not the end of the world--I'll just work a few minutes more at the end of the day--or chop my lunch in half, and go with the flow."

Or maybe I could pass the little old lady and flip her off.

I suppose it's a choice you make in life, right?

No comments: