Saturday, July 18, 2009

Another pair of gloves! Matches!

I'm creating.

Funny how thing go when you're creating.

The sky seems bluer.
The air seems lighter.
The sun seems to shine more...

So I'm creating a new glove--really similar to the last glove really, except that I am merging the glove pattern itself, not with the piano chart, but with a fire chart that I found on Ravelry--and I'm doing the glove in Red and Black, instead of black and white. I'm downloading the files from my camera phone now...

I took progress pics all throughout the construction. I made some modifications to the original piano key pattern--instead of stockinette throughout, I finished off with a few rows of ribbing to help the top lie flatter. Instead of a stripe on the thumb, I worked it solid black, then duplicate stitched a little red flame on the thumb.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that the beginning and ending of the glove are THINNER, because it's just one thickness of yarn--except where the pattern is--and I'm not sure that I like that part, so if I make another pair for myself, I will carry a second stand along the back--just so that it will be thicker, although I'm not yet certain how I will accomplish without making the entire pattern seem puckered...

So I'm still thinking about it.

The beginning was simple enough, starting with 60 sts. K1, p1 around 1 row, then add the red, and k1, p1 around in corrugated ribbing.

Progress:


Then I dropped the red for a bit, and k1, p1 for 1 row in just black--then I purled 3 rows for the bump. On the first row, I increased a stitch every sixth stitch, giving me 70 stitches, then on the next row, I increased 2 more stitches, for a total of 72 stitches around. Here, I think that I could pare down the # of stitches to perhaps 65-on ME the pattern seems to bulge a bit--I think it will be fine for my son though, for whom the gloves are being knit.

I purled one plain row, then I knit one row.










I dropped black, and knit 10 rows even in red.

Progress:


The pattern is here

--aside--I had to print the chart on a black and white printer--then I had to color in how I wanted the flames to be--which was slightly different than what was on the chart--basically, instead of a 3 color pattern, I turned it into a two color pattern.

Then I started the pattern, while at the same time, I increased for the thumb gusset. I worked the thumb gusset all in black, carrying the red behind.





Progress:





Once I finished the gusset stitches, I put the thumb stitches on a holder, and continued in the round on the hand until the pattern was finished, then I worked in black only for about 10 rounds, and finished off with 3 rows of 1 x 1 ribbing.







I then picked up the thumb stitches and knit around to the desired length (about 7 rounds), and bound off in k1, p1--I decreased 2 stitches on the round to snug up the thumb and keep it from rolling.

Then I duplicate stitched a little flame on the thumb in the center.




Final result:




I'm going to call them "Matches!"

What do you think?

No comments: