Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Knitting Has Ended!





For the Swing Sweater, that is...

Check out the pic!

See how cool the sleeves blend in with the front! I was SO PLEASED to see this, because it was QUITE BY ACCIDENT!












New project, Etude from Ravelry. I started knitting last night and I couldn't put it down!

The pattern has a repeat, but it starts on Row 5, instead of row 1, which makes it a bit trickier than most fair isle patterns.







It's a standard corrugated rib cuff with 3 purl rows to make that little ridge where it meets the hand. At this time, I decided to increase to 72 stitches from my original 60, because I was concerned that the item, while it fit "like a glove" at the wrist, it wouldn't fit well once I moved into my hand.

Here's the cuff finished, you can see what I mean already by my thought that I won't have enough space for my hand when I get there.

But it's already looking really sharp, huh?

And here, I am, 10 rows into the pattern, ready to start putting in my thumb gusset. You see that first stitch? Well, just before that stitch, I'm going to pick up and knit a black one, knit the white one and then pick up and knit another black one, between the stitches in the ladder. This is called a "Make 1", and it can be made to "lean" either left or right depending on HOW you pick up the ladder, and which direction you knit it--which will twist the stitch and make it so that the stitch doesn't make any unsightly holes. We can't have holes in our gloves, right?

And the fact that these are made with Philosopher's Wool techniques, means that they will be warmer than just the standard gloves, which is a must in our neck of the woods! And believe it or not, I think it's going to snow tomorrow--when I got up thisi morning it was actually cold on the 4th of July!

1 comment:

cici said...

the sweater looks great... lovely how the colors matched up♥