Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tarot and Computers

Today's card is the 9 of swords--also called the Nightmare Card--in this deck

9 of Swords

It's called Suffering in Silence.

She sits alone on the mountaintop waiting for her fears--are those dragons coming to eat her? And only a staff to ward them off! The suffering appears self-imposed however--as the mountaintop has stairs cut into the rock! Still, she waits for the end that must come--and hopefully soon!

This card drawn perhaps because of issues with my hubby--and my computer. He feels that I spent too much on my new hard drive and spent an entire day hunting down something cheaper--

Now this is saying something. Compared to me the man is impossibly inept at internet--and I am only PASSABLE so spending the entire day looking for a better deal on the internet really *IS* the entire day. Poor guy came home with stress written all over his face--and discouragement and a feeling of "I don't know how much more of this I can stand!" in his body language. All spent on me! I feel like a queen suddenly!

The bad side of this is that now I'm going to have to return the drive that I bought at Best Buy--and even though it hasn't been opened--im worried that they might charge me to do so. If they do, I'll have to use it and eat the $30 extra that it cost. I'm almost afraid to call!

Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure that it's the right sort of drive--being that I know nothing about laptop drives. Even as advanced an operator I am, I still marvel at how astute my guru is--taking it apart and putting it back together again. Were I to try it, I would likely never get it back together!

And that would never do--no matter how adventurous I might believe myself to be--the parts are just too small. I would lose a screw and then pull my hair out worried that the cat ate it!

So I stop myself before I even start. Could I have done it years ago? YES--because I could SEE then.

Therefore, I will attempt to return the 320 gig I bought 2 days ago and order a smaller drive online. Then hope that it's the right one for when my guru arrives.

Add to this the fact that my machine will run so much faster because there will be next to nothing on it--Firefox, Eudora, MS Office, Photoshop, the software for my Blackberry and camera, the router and printer and the USB hub. I'd like to get my hands on Adobe Acrobat so that I can edit out some stuff in the pdf files that I have that make them impossibly large, but that may be a while in obtaining, considering the last time I looked it was over $80. I'll have to look into it--it would be a nice piece of software to have. And it would be nice to have a large external drive, too. Cds get scratched and then won't read anymore-and old diskettes are an even less reliable resource. Zippies are small and make good cat toys (grrr). Then, if you acquire a bunch of them, you have to look at every one to find the file you want and wade through hundreds of file names--unless you are astute enough to keep a log of the files in a neat folder with the directory tree. Which is like reading a very boring book that has nothing but a table of contents and an index with no plot or action in it!

Do you get the idea that I'm not well organized? Maybe that's something I can work on.



Do you have any idea how much it bugs me when the computer at the office is so slow as to be

"I could hand-write this entire file in the time it takes to move to the information screen I need!"

Now *THAT* is freakin' slow!

Just called Best Buy--they're not yet open. I dread calling! So it was a relief almost when the voicemail said "We are currently closed." But they will be open soon enough!

No comments: