Thursday, November 26, 2009

Computer Updates

I must say, they suck--especially when the computer is

1. In your bedroom and
2. When it reboots twice in less than an hour.


Yes, friends I was rudely awakened on my first day of Turkey Time at 3:30am with the familiar "I am booting" song played by my computer when it logs me in, anew, after an update. This happened twice last night.

I think Microsoft does that on purpose!

In the meantime, while I've been awake for the last two hours of my HOLIDAY WHEN I DON'T HAVE TO GET OUT OF BED UNTIL AFTERNOON day, I finished the Piggie Pillow, Porker.

02P1010002_01012006.JPG

Pay no mind to the bits of glue on his nose--those will disappear. It's just that I'd just finished gluing.

And if I do say so myself (and I usually do, as you are by now aware), he is cute as a button--even if he does appear to have been "tying one on" last night. He obtained the name "Porker", because his body is so much bigger than his head. Lots of bacon on this pig! He gives new meaning to the term "Pork Bellies".

So now, another project finished. What will be next?

I'm thinking about a hat for my son. I purchased the yarn last night, and thought about getting it started today. Trouble is, I can't decide what TYPE of hat I want to begin. You see, this is the problem with knowing so many different techniques...for instance, I could begin with a standard stockinette hem, pick up the cast on stitches about an inch later to make a nice edge, then continue on in stockinette and just make a "generic hat", or I could do double knitting, making the hat reversible, or I could do some fair isle--I have this really cool dragon pattern that I know he'd like to have (so would I), or I could just make a standard hat out of ribbing (not much imagination there), or a toque, or a hat with ear flaps, or a helmet, or...

I could have just said the possibilities and offerings are pretty much endless, but I want him to wear this hat, the same way he wears his gloves--EVERY DAY! (Betcha thought he wore his gloves on his head, huh? Crazy images come to mind at 5am, trust me.) So I'd like it to be something nice, and I thought I could probably get a fair isle hat (just not the dragon hat) done by Christmas without too much ballyhoo--but then the issue is if not the dragon hat, then "what"? So I'm pending the project until inspiration hits me full in the face.

The colors he wants are to match the Devil's Heat gloves--which I easily found similar colors in Cascade 220 superwash. And I considered using the same essential "pattern" I used for the gloves on the hat, but I'd like the flames to begin right at the hem edge--and that seems a bit "fiddly" to me. Plus this, fair isle isn't stretchy like ribbing or stockinette in one color--that means sizing is a big issue--and if it's made too small--well you get the picture. Try to stick a child sized hat on an adult head, whaddya get? Pop goes the weasel. So something simpler might be in order--just your standard hat with a flip up hem in ribbing and a stockinette body, with some stripes on the hem? Sounds like a boring knit to me!

Back to pending the project until inspiration attacks.

In the meantime, Porker is done, and I couldn't be happier with the way he turned out.

No comments: