Sunday, November 15, 2009

Working Hard at Hardly Working..

Life sometimes deals you a blow where you simply cannot get on track no matter how hard you try. Today, my husband decided he would rather clean out our freezer of many freezer-burned items to make room in our freezers (yes, I didn't typo--I have 2 freezers), since his son is coming to live with us in a month or so.

Ah, okay. So where *does* he plan to sleep? With us?

No, he's taking over my sewing room. My quilting room. My knitting, yarn, books and crochet room. My wool room. My weaving room.

My storage room.

As you might guess, this room is similar to the disaster zone at ground zero on 9-11. It's an organized clutter, and I know where EVERYTHING is. Right now. God knows if I will remember where it is tomorrow or the next day. You know...things tend to roam about in the dark when you aren't there to watch it closely. That's why I keep most of my CURRENT projects close by. God help me if this stuff should start to breed.

But if it must, let it be the cashmere?

In any case I have to move the stuff from a 15' x 9' room into a 10'x10' room.

Plus about 10' x 10' that exists outside both rooms...and I look at the room that I am supposed to put all this valuable "stuff" into, and the room itself is stuffed full of HIS "stuff"...that has to come out, so that I can CLEAN and put down a RUG and SWEEP, and then I can move all my VALUABLE wares into this (god help me) little room!

How did this happen?

So, it's going to be a job that I need HIS help with, because HE has to do all the mule work. Now that's not a reference to his attitude (in other words, I'm not calling him an A$$) about the whole affair, but simply a reference to "HEY. YOU ARE STRONGER THAN ME. I EXPECT YOU TO MOVE ALL THIS HEAVY STUFF OUT OF HERE SO THAT I CAN GET SOMETHING ACCOMPLISHED!"

Needless to say, NONE of it got done this weekend. HE isn't motivated to do it. Well, if I must admit, neither am I. I am not looking forward to moving all my valuable stuff from it's home to another room that doesn't afford it any space to expand and breath. God help us all if it does inhale--

I had planned to work on it this weekend. No such luck. And because my "rhythm" was KINKED, nothing else got done, either...like the vacuuming, the laundry, and I was going to wash my hand-crafted socks...well, I will be wearing store bought next week. All of the things I planned to do...hmm..what was that phrase? The best laid plans often go awry. Well, frankly, I'm going to chalk it up to "over scheduling". I am, after all, only one person. There is only two hands on this body and it can only do so much in a given day.

That's what I could do! I could take time off to work at home on all of this?

Sigh. That ain't happ'nin. Now that my husband is retired, staying home all day is no relaxing venture. Not that I'm complaining, you understand, but I enjoy little stretches of "silent time", when the house is completely quiet, and I can hear a pin drop on the carpet. The dog is asleep in her kennel. The cats have crawled under the blankets on the bed, and the television is off. My house literally RESTS now and then.

And today would have been a good day for my house to rest, FOR SURE. But sad to say, things were very hectic from the second my husband said

"Let's clean out the freezer."

Well, I can't just let that one go, now can I?

And so all the things that *I* planned to do today got put on the back burner.

Thankfully, the freezer job IS finished, and we can relax about that one for another, oh, five years or so. I found things in there that I'd forgotten completely about--a milk crate full of one pound packages of ground chuck--a sight that told me I wouldn't have to buy burger again probably for another year. OH! And there's that freezer jam we made two years ago. I wonder if it's any good?

Another treaure trove. The bad part was the food we had to toss out because it was freezer burned, and the smell was horrible. We started a package to thaw in the sink. The item that sat in his mother's freezer for years, and was now sitting in ours. We took it upstairs, completely uncertain of what it was, when hubby decides he wants rice and gravy for supper.

"Do we have a packet of gravy?" he asked.

"I don't believe we do, but what was that package thawing in the sink?" I reply.

"Idano." Was the answer.

"Well, open it up and see." So we did, and SURPRISE. It's gravy. Somehow I think the food gods are watching over us.

No comments: