Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's Finished!

Ah, one more job I can cross off my list. We finally finished getting things out of the bigger bedroom for the step-son, and most of my "stuff" piled in the little room. Most of it I have to go through, and put books on shelves, magazines in magazine holders and a variety of other miscellany, but beyond that, it's finished.

And are we ever tired!

I told hubby that if he'd buy, I'd fly--a little phrase he came up with to denote "I'll pay for supper if you'll drive to get it." I'm generally happy to do so--it means:

I
Don't
Have
to Cook.
And I'm all about no housework!

So as soon as my Ebay finishes in another half hour, I'm going to head out, and thought I would type a few lines beforehand.

I started knitting the slippers. I'm up to row 13. I'm using Cascade 220 and size 7 needles. I can see that the fabric, while snug enough for a bedsock, won't hold up to a slipper, so I'm figuring double thickness on the knitting, which means I could go up to a size 8 or 9--and have plenty of stitch definition, and a little bit of firmness in the fabric as well. That will be a plus, considering that I would like the slippers to hold up to scruffing around the house.

Heck, I might even line them with a little bit of fleece--who knows what I might do next?

I do however, wish that the item I'm bidding on would be over sooner, because I'm hungry. It would be nice to be able to knit while watching my Ebay item. Sadly, if I do that, I will forget to come in to the computer room and bid. Not a good idea.

Wow! The wind is really blowing outside! Of course, you know that wind saved our butts from getting the worst of that storm that was coming--blew most of it to the north country, and they'll be happy for it. I don't know. I like a little snow around Christmas. It's not really Christmas without a little snow on the ground. However, I want it gone by my birthday, which is the day after.

Yes, yes, I'm a Christmas baby. My hubby doesn't like my birthday, because I demand he get me two presents every year. One for my birthday, one for Christmas. I've never been short-shrifted on my birthday, and I'm not about to start now. Last year, he only got me one present, and he has paid dearly ALL YEAR. Just ask him!

And of course, it's boxing day, and all the stores have incredible savings on Christmas-related items. I have Christmas items that live in boxes that haven't seen the light of day in years, because every year, I buy a new set because I can't find last year's set. I have Christmas wrap that is probably 10 years old. I still use it. Why not? It's not like it goes bad or anything! The most I will buy at the Christmas related stuff sales is ribbon and bows for next year's presents. This year, however, I have a lot to wrap, so it might happen that I need to buy some new paper for next year--one never knows. Naturally, I ration paper, and I do all the wrapping, conserving paper for smaller items after I've wrapped the larger items.

I am a little at a loss about what to get for the grandkids, though. They have all the toys that they could ever need. I do have a dolly in the present box that I think my grand-daughter will love, but my grandson is another story. I suppose that I'll have to contact my step daughter and ask her what special items they want or need, and go from there. I doubt very much that anything I get for this year will top what I got him last year--a batman hat--see right column. I am told that he wore it to bed that first night, and was so excited for school to start so he could wear it to school, that he was bugging his mother daily for what day it was, and how many more days before he could go back to school?

Well, you know, that just made me smile inside.

I'm very happy when my projects are loved and appreciated, used and worn. My son is especially appreciative about the items that I create for him. I believe he's still wearing the vests that I made for him last year. Or was it two years ago? You know, the days, they sorta run together anymore. But having somebody appreciate what you've made with your own two hands is just about the best feeling in the world. I think next year, I should knit mittens. Lots and lots of mittens and give them to a local church to give to folks who might not have mittens. That sounds like a worthwhile endeavor. God knows I have lots of acrylic yarn that I could put to good use.

It's something to think about at least.

In the meanwhile, I think I'll just revel in the knowing that the knitting, crocheting, spinning, weaving, sewing and other miscellaneous craft room is finally at a point where I can pretty much call it done--and now just an hour a day or so to sort through things and neaten them up. It will give me hours of enjoyment going through the older magazines, checking out things that I haven't looked at for years. It will be like going to the store and buying new books and magazines all over again. But at least I can take my time on it, and do it right.

And that makes me feel very rested and relaxed. Hubby's son can move in now without worry about all my stuff in the way. It's a good feeling.

No comments: