Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

And a Happy Day with Freezing Rain--all over the roads--and lots of regular rain, just to make things more interesting.

And with all the holiday travellers out there. Please WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY! You might know what YOU'RE doing--but does he?

I opened a gift today from one of my husband's Aunts--actually she's his favorite Aunt, and he's her favorite nephew, but I digress. I had thought it would be for my hubby, but it was for ME! YAY!

A project bag, with a BUNCH of old style knitting needles that I just love, and some magazines with old-style knitting and crochet articles that were a treat to look through. Some embroidery hoops and sun-catcher hoops that I can hardly WAIT to fill with small doilies and feathers from JoAnn's. The bag was literally filled with eligible projects.

To top it all off, the "Learn to Knit" book that I've been hunting for was ALSO inside, and it has the slipper pattern in there that I was hunting for, as well. Hmmm...how did she know? The whole bag was a surprise, and while the entire family knows that I knit (a lot) and crochet (some of that too, yes), I NEVER expected to get that sort of thing--especially when it's Jeff's Aunt--

I made Jeff a Pecan Pie-his favorite. He's had a couple slices of it. I think he likes it, but it's not that Chicago pie. I have to find the recipe for it somehow and make it. While this pie is "good", that pie was the best he'd ever had. So I have to search for it. I created six coupons for him to redeem throughout the year, so that he can have pecan pie whenever he wants it. Home-made, by hand, pecan pie. None better.

I have received some compensation from JoAnn's for my teaching classes there--enough to buy the table/storage area for the new television. It's on sale right now at Meijer's--well, actually, tomorrow it should still be on sale--so we should be able to get it then.

Today, is our dinner at hubby's mother's house. The whole family should be there--except for his brother, who couldn't make it this year. Let me tell you what. That's a real let down for his brother--he lives so far away, and would FAR RATHER spend Christmas with his mother this year, but sadly, his wife will not fly. This is apparently a sticking point that upsets everyone here in Michigan. We miss him, and I'm sure that he misses us, too. Merry Christmas, Mike and Pam. Sorry you can't be here.

I'll be taking my camera and taking highlights of the dinner (today) and the presents (tomorrow, my birthday), so remind me to pack my camera. I can't wait for the kids to open their presents--it's going to be so much fun this year, because there are 4 children--a niece and nephew and my two grandkids, who are younger, and still believe in Santa Claus. It's going to be a fun time!

Of course, last night, hubby was depressed about something, and when I pressed for an answer as to why, he wouldn't tell me. Now, he might not have known what specifically was troubling him, so I drew a tarot card--the 4 of swords reversed.

In the Robin Wood Tarot, the graphic is of a person in effigy, the swords are not active, and upright, the card means you need to rest, relax, take a powder kind of meaning. Reversed, it means you have to get up, get going, get active, move yer butt! So what's he doing now?

Snoring.

I think his depression is boredom mixed with the fact that this is he first Christmas since his dad died. Come to think of it, there was snow on the ground then, too. Christmas is not a good time for my husband. Which is terrible, because it's such a GREAT TIME for *ME*! All the food, and the presents and the friends and family! It's great! I look forward to it every year. The more, the merrier! I wish my family was as close as his family is. And while we will all miss his dad, there is still joy in the giving (and getting) of gifts! YAY! Just so you know, his dad will be there--and while he might not be able to partake of the pie and cake, ham and legumes (notice I put dessert first?), he will be there for our comfort.

Knitting wise, I have finished a sock, and found a fantastic fit in this yarn, and a fantastic sock pattern to make with it, and the result is a PERFECT SOCK that fits me, without a lot of fiddly calculations. I can't believe it, and I'm so excited that I have a standard sock pattern now, that I can barely stand it. I'm working on the second sock now, and should have it done by the time the next class happens. Of course, the person taking the sock class will need to come to another session, because the boss scheduled two sessions in two days, which isn't enough time to knit--so I'm going to make an offer to the student.

And the classes for January/February are shaping up--knitted lace, crocheted lace, some felted flowers and a pretty child's cardi--which I'm going to turn into a baby sweater. Then, of course, there will be other classes to follow. I just hope that the weather clears up and isn't so snotty like today. Sadly, I hear we're supposed to have freezing rain again tonight.

Mandy, my dog, got a new chew toy--a rubber bone we found in excavating the garage. She loves it, and has been tossing it around the house. She's funny that way. Someday, I'll have to post a video to U-Tube showing everyone how NUTS she goes with a simple sock with a knot in it. Another time, I suppose.

Well, I'm going to go knit and watch television. Merry Christmas!

No comments: