Friday, December 4, 2009

The Work Week Is OVER!

Kaput!
I am so glad.
Work cuts into my knitting time in such a big way.

However, I have been able to get another point done on the border for the Princess Shawl. Yes. Color me IDIOT. It took two days to do one point, and I did that in about an hour--needless to say, I didn't knit ANY for the last two evenings. I'm pretty sure it's because I CAN'T SEE THE DARN THREAD!

I'm not exaggerating, either. I'll have to take a picture of the thread up against some worsted weight dishcloth cotton, just to give you a frame of reference.

Even crochet cotton is THICKER!

And my vision is so bad, that every thread looks like two, no matter which glasses I wear. Obviously, I won't be able to knit this when I'm tired. So this evening, I opted to hold off until tomorrow.

The re-arranging of my sewing, knitting, quilting, craft room is coming along slowly, but surely. I have MOST of it moved from the big bedroom into the small bedroom. I purchased some crates to help with the books and magazines. I found another milk crate from my *ahem* college days. And before you accuse me of some nefarious behavior, you should know that it was my roommates who filched them from the local stores, and then left them with me when the school year was out and they had no room in the car to put them. I ended up with 7 or 8 of them. I would like MORE. They are MUCH sturdier than the ones I purchased at Staples! However, the ones I got at Staples stack nicely, and they are wider, allowing for MORE BOOKS. Oh, time to hit the bookstore for more knitting books?

I think not. My husband would leave me.

As it is, I've come across this infatuation with Susan Bates Circlon needles--these things have points that just won't quit. They're nylon, and they're cheap. I'm buying as many as I can here and there wherever I can find them. I'm considering going to the antique store in Mason tomorrow to see if I can find any more of them. To date, I've purchased a 5 and a 7, a 10 and a 13--plus the size 7 I have that I use for dishcloths--yes, I thought I'd lost it. Now I think the cat dragged it off the table and onto the floor. I found it over by the television, and IMMEDIATELY put it away in a drawer, away from chewing cat teeth.

Make a toy out of my knitting needle, eh? I'll get you my kitty,

(insert Wicked Witch of the East cackle here), and your little catnip toy too!

And by the bored look I'm getting from my tiger cat, Chat, I can tell I've REALLY made this huge impression.

Oh, he's SOOOO scared.

Yeah, right.

So work today went fine. Cold outside, but still walked to lunch with a friend, which was an excellent break in the day. Then back to work to warm up and get something--ANYTHING--done! How is it that I feel like I work my fingers to the bone, but after all that's done, there's nothing left on my desk to show for it? Funny how that works out, and how I feel like I haven't completed much of anything, because when *I'M* done with it, I get it OUT OF MY OFFICE, and into someone else's--consequently, at the end of the day, if nothing is on my desk, I have completed much--I just don't have much to show for it.

It makes people think that I'm incredibly efficient.

Truth be told--I just hate the stress of having too much STUFF in my office. People pass by and think I have nothing to do most of the time, because I am incredibly good at hiding stuff. But the quicker I can get rid of it (ie, do my bit, and heft it off onto someone else to finish the rest of it), the happier I am. God help the person down the line who isn't interested in getting their job done right after I do mine--because they will quickly find themselves overloaded. I'm THAT fast.

I'm told that I'm really good at what I do. But I look at my desk at the end of the day, having done it all, with not much left to work on in the morning following (and for sure, I don't like leaving stuff on FRIDAY--GOD HELP US ALL!), and I think, hmm...I know I worked all day. What did I do?

But today, I had a small pile of work left at the end of the day, about 10 minutes before I left the office for the weekend.

I felt like I hadn't done my job right. There's WORK LEFT! That shouldn't happen on a Friday! How will I sleep tonight--knowing that there is work sitting here, waiting for me, on Monday morning?

How indeed.

I guess I'll have to force myself, baby. I'm not staying here until it's done. And I literally had to tell myself that, while I put on my hat and coat, gloves and scarf--grabbed my purse and my knitting, and headed out of the office.

And then...the phone rang.

And as I ran screaming to the elevator, I could hear it still ringing...that is, until voice mail picked up the call. And the elevator came and swept me away from it all, bringing me to the first floor in a bullet casing, and I whistled while I walked out the door into the blustery twilight that happens earlier and earlier these days...bundled myself against the wind chill, and walked to my car.

I decided that on the way home, I would pick up a few groceries for the weekend, and then headed home, imagining work on the craft room (but knowing better) . On arrival, I helped unload the car with hubby and started supper for the two of us. Then I literally fell into my chair, watched the last bit of "Blow" with Johnny Depp, and then "Ghost Whisperer" and "Medium".

Somewhere in between the shows, I re-arranged the living room to accommodate my chair at the other end of the room, because hubby had the volume up so high on the television that it was hurting my ears. Sadly, it also means that I'm sitting near the fireplace, which is a HOT place to be, and I don't need any more heat than my own body emits during those "power surges"...sigh...but move I did. Hubby isn't happy with the arrangement, but I need a table on each side of my chair. One to hold my drink. The other holds my knitting in progress. We can't mix the two. I am dangerous. It's why I don't usually have a drink near my computer--for the self-same reason. I. Am. A. Spiller!

So then, how did your day go?

No comments: