Thursday, June 24, 2010

Another Big Day!


Sorry the pic is so fuzzy. It was the cell phone, held in the wrong hand, and I wasn't even sure I'd get the shot to begin with, so I stuttered and shook. This is the result. Better pics another day when she's less traumatized.

I found her, behind the refrigerator. Hiding. I had to pull out the fridge and snatch her before she could run away. I briefly noticed the dust bunnies back here. I decided to let them be for the time being.

Kismet, as I named her, has been to her first vet experience. For a "stray", she's in surprisingly good health at about 10 weeks old. I don't think she was left or dropped off at McDonald's, but rather, she hitched a ride in a wheel well, and when somebody stopped to place their order, she took a chance and jumped off. I don't believe that she was there for very long.

She's pretty much flea free, her gums and teeth are healthy, and she's eating solid food, so she's not in too terrible shape. She got a dose of wormer and her first distemper shot. She's good to go for the next 3 weeks, at which time, she will go in for a booster. On the way home, she went a little nuts on me in the carrier, where I had placed some kitty litter in a pie pan for her, and she yowled like she was in dire need of a tomcat--until finally, after she finished her business, she settled down into a corner, and slept a little.

Mandy, is fascinated with her...though NOT TO CLOSE! This one has claws, and knows how to use them. Still it's TERRIBLE FUNNY to see this little kitten, who can't weigh more than a pound, to arch all up, bottle brush her tail, hiss and spit and growl at Mandy, who is easily 35 times her size. Mandy looks at me as if to say--

"Is this cat FOR REAL?"

And she cocks her head to one side, as border collies do, completely dumbfounded by this little scrappy doo.

Of course, Kizmet hasn't stood still long enough for a picture--however, I did sit in hubby's chair to pet her for a little while, and she actually purred! However, she got down quickly enough, as there is just too much exploring to do in this big house. She's looking for the other cats, who at present are ignoring her. Cherise (or Smokey) has hissed at Kizmet a few times. They haven't actually touched noses yet. Chat is too aloof to be interested in another cat. He's just a "boy", and more interested in finding the next sunny spot to warm up in.

So Kizmet has pretty much the run of the house. I put some cardboard pop containers between the wall and the fridge to keep Kizmet from going behind the fridge again. I closed the laundry room doors, so she can't get behind the washer/dryer. Kitten-proofing the house again, little by little. Of course, I can't let her into the bedroom, or she would get under the bed and I'd never get her out of there. So since there's no "kitten proofing" the bed, until she gets a little more accustomed to coming to "kitty kitty kitty" or Kizmet? and isn't quite so traumatized by every thing that's bigger than she is (which is pretty much everything), I will close the bedroom door.

This is only a bad thing, because it's where the air conditioner is, and also where I sit to knit on hot nights--with the air turned on full blast. So when I'm knitting, she can't be with me for socialization, which is really important. She's getting BETTER, and starting to realize that I am not going to hurt her, but it takes time.

And she's got a long way to go before she will feel comfortable around Mandy. Mandy, unfortunately, isn't altogether patient about checking out the new arrival. I seriously have to get a picture of the two of them together.

No comments: