Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Long Day at the Office Today...

One of the supervisors called me in to his office to tell me that we have some people in on loan from the county offices.

"It's all 'perception'", he tells me. I just sort of stare at him with a blank look on my face--thinking, "cut to the chase, fella."

"We've got these people coming in from the county," (yes, I already knew that. I read the boss' email at 7am, when I arrived...)

"And we don't want them to go home with the idea that we sit around and don't do much, because then the boss won't be able to get help again and the story might get back to her boss."

(uh, huh. And what do you want me to do about it?)

"So, I know you like to knit on your breaks and lunch..."

(oh, crap, here comes the sucker punch)

"So if you want to do that, please take it to the break room to work on it."

(uh huh. How does that change anything? Since I only work on my knitting on my break or lunch anyhow?)

"Seriously, I'm going to be discussing this with my staff later on, today."

(yes, I just bet you are. You mean we can't go and talk to each other for a minute or two, to get away from these crazy phone calls we've been getting from angry people who didn't get their check that have been driving us NUTS for the last month?)

Instead...

I see. No problem. I'm entitled to two breaks and a lunch hour. Whatever.

The sad part is that I never got a chance to take the time to knit until the day was completely over with and I was in Lake Odessa before I picked up my knitting.

I did get my two breaks, but one was for eating breakfast, and the other for a pop run with my friend, Dave. Lunch was spent outside, eating lunch and enjoying the warm breeze and cool shade. Perhaps I'll get in some knitting time tomorrow while at the office. I don't know. These folks are here for the next 30 days.

It's going to be a long month. And there are no holidays, either.
Sigh.

No comments: