Sunday, June 6, 2010

Baby Birds

Today, a baby robin flew into our picture window. He's stunned, but alive. I picked him up gingerly and put him in the grass, so that when he becomes aware again, he can fly away. Our neighborhood seems to attract "attack robins". They flew into our picture window all summer last year. Looks like this year is to be no different.

While on my trek to the grass, I saw a squirrel--not something that I've seen so close to the house--and he promptly ran away. I'll check the baby bird a little later.

Progress on the Ice Queen is coming along. I have all the repeats done, and I believe I'll be working on the edging next, but haven't checked the pattern to make sure. It looks a bit short, to be honest--but there it is. I am working on the edging, which admittedly is a tad fiddly. I was outdoors on the swing, knitting happily away, and it started to rain. I had to put it all away. Now I have to wait until hubby and son finish "chatting".

Hubby is talking with his son. He's telling me about the possibility of buying a house for them to rent. I'm not really sure about this concept. I'm a little worried that his son will give up on his degree, which would NOT be a good thing. Not only that, but kiddies and lack of insurance--it's a real gamble. It would be a real struggle for HER, I think. I expect she's up for it as she seems to be a pretty smart lady. I'm just worried about how quickly their relationship is progressing. I think it's a bit too fast. Now more chatter about finishing the downstairs, and making it a little more "agreeable" for a married couple. Even so, I don't think they'd be completely happy. They really should have their own place, but neither one has a real job. So, input financial stress, which is okay for a while, but gets old QUICK. And for the responsibility of wage earning to be on one person--well, that's really bad, especially when it's all on the wife.

I figure that they've talked about it to death, but I still worry about these things, which is one thing I *didn't* have to do with my step-daughter. She was smart, and so was her husband, and they waited until they'd saved up a bunch of money, and then they bought a piece of property on a cul de sac and BUILT their own house. They've made lots of improvements to it, and it's really looking nice. She's got a GREAT little home!

It's also possible that I'm none too keen on my hubby shelling out the cash, when we need it for our home improvements and a roof for the barn. It would CERTAINLY set back our projects, considerably. Of course, it could be years before we actually "get" to that point, but that's our prerogative, I believe, since it is our cash--well, his cash--which was earmarked for our home! So you see how I am feeling a bit put upon.

***
Well, after a bit of "chatter" we decided to contact a realtor friend of ours, who met us at the house in question. He took us inside, and we had a look around. What a pitiful sight. I saw problems EVERYWHERE, and even the realtor suggested that it was probably NOT the place they (or anyone else for that matter) would want. Not only was it a "flipped" house, the owner bought it for a little over $10K, and put on some cosmetics (basically paint and shingles), but we could see roof problems and foundation problems, not to mention that there were cracks in the basement walls and going all the way up to the back porch--a separation that would no doubt get worse. The interior ceilings and floors were all out of level, and the basement was wet. The owner had put in a new natural gas furnace that allowed air conditioning as well, put in new vents etc, but none of the cosmetics added up to a house for $60K.

And that was the issues that *I* was able to see. The realtor told my step son that if he bought this house, it is likely that he would never recover his investment if he left it. And that statement alone, brought both of them out of their "cute house" that we can fix up reverie.

They decided to wait, and I thought that was a good idea.

After, we all went out for Chinese. Then I came home and worked on Ice Queen. I am on the final picot bind off. I will soon be finished with the project. I have already picked out something new.

What do you think of it?

No comments: