Sunday, June 20, 2010

An Event Worth Mentioning...

I went to Yankee Doodle Days up town and spun all morning in the pavillion on the island. I had several guests come and visit me, but they were looking for the Island Garage Sales that apparently had been canceled for lack of interest. I can't see hauling all my junk to the island, when I can just have my garage sale in...oh, gee, hmm...where should I...well, who'd a thunk it? What about let's do it in the garage (or the yard, or the neighbor's house)?

Duh moment there. Uh huh.

The parade was a short one this year, and no bagpipes! Surprise of the season! I wonder where Glen Erin got off to? The parade was only a half hour long and afterward, the buzzer went off on my phone, telling me that I needed to take off for my doctor appointment--just when people were coming down into the, yes, you guessed it...island.

But since I was the only thing GOING ON, and since I was packing up, people sat on the riverbank and fed the ducks.

So I didn't really demo a whole lot Saturday morning.

However, THIS morning, the dog's leash broke and she took off running like a shot to the neighbor's house. By the time I got her back, she was soaked from head to toe--I can only assume that she jumped in their pond, which means she's gonna SMELL later today. She's locked in the bathroom, drying out as I type this, barking at the neighbor dog, who is also barking because he now realizes that an interloper has been on his territory. It was lucky for me that she hadn't had her breakfast yet--which made it easier to catch her.

"Mandy! Time to eat! Come home!" Even though I knew she would not come straight to me, I thought the word "Eat" might make her stop and think about the possibility.

And she did, to her credit, stop, and I was able to catch up to her, grab the part of the leash dangling behind her, and head back for the house. She got in a good run and a little walk and perhaps even a swim. She should be tired. I know that I am. Whew.

Now inside, I have about half an hour before I go in to JoAnn's for a Crochet Class. I believe it's a 101 class, meaning that I teach the person, a newbie to crochet, how to do it. This takes about a half hour. The rest of the class, we might work on a simple pattern--like a dishcloth, or a potholder, or whatever the customer brings in. I'm thinking about buying some cotton today and making another dishcloth out of Tunisian Crochet--which is a derivative of regular crochet, but uses a longer crochet hook. You can make some nice thick washcloths this way. I made one for the bath out of some scraps, and it turned out so nice, that it became my favorite cloth ever, not to mention the fact that it isn't fancy and I can actually USE it. Or I could knit on my sweater. The possibilities are endless.

I must prepare for the class, decide what I want to do while I'm there, put on some decent clothing, and go. Hopefully, by the time I get back, Rhiannon testing will be posted to the Celtic Art Forum on Ravelry.

No comments: