Sunday, October 17, 2010

Purchases!

A friend at the office is retiring, and she told me that she had a glass "crystal" ball at home that she wanted to get rid of--

Well, you know that I jumped at it. She offered for $25. It's also an item that I've been hunting for years, and because it's hers and she'll be gone soon, it's sort of nice to have something of hers to remember her...you see where I'm going with this?
 
The next day, she let me know that she'd talked with a friend of hers, who indicated that it was not some cheap piece of glass, but Austrian Crystal--and probably worth $175 and that he would gladly give it to her.

At which point, I told her that I wasn't interested in something quite so nice, and that she should sell it to him. But I was clearly disappointed. It didn't matter to me if it was made of cheap glass--I just wanted it for some decoration in my house--maybe for some divining--who knows what an old "gifted" glass ball can do? I just know that my rock ball doesn't quite offer the clarity of glass. Glass offers clarity. Boy, do I need some of that!

Later, my friend wrote me to let me know that her other friend was no longer interested, and if I wanted the crystal ball, I could have it for the agreed upon price. You've never seen anybody so elated! Not just because I'll have a crystal ball, but because it's something I can have to remember her by, and I am going to miss her in a big way--I taught her knitting--I taught her quilting--she and I had a connection all through this thing called work.

She's bringing it in tomorrow. I can barely wait to take it home.

No comments: