Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bad Weather everywhere!

My neighbor/friend that I spin with called me up last night to inform me that spin group wasn't meeting because, and I quote--

"I've got no freaking electricity!"

Oh, my.

Well, word has it that she lost 2 trees in the yard, has 3 holes in the roof, the garage ceiling is so wet they expect it to come down any second, and the neighbors lost 12 trees in their yard, another tree landed on top of their sunroom roof, and the woods next door lost 22 trees.

Grand Ledge looks like a war zone. I traveled there last night to get pizza (my husband's choice for dinner), and Jenne Street was blocked completely down by the High School, so I had to take an alternate route--every yard had tree debris and one house had an entire tree crashed through the roof--absolutely general mayhem and confusion and disarray.

I looked about and said..my job here is done. Not so, saith the Goliath living in the heavens....on my way home (on another alternate route) an accident, and the road was blocked AGAIN--this time I see that there are several telephone poles down, and one bears a strong resemblance to this old tower in Italy--Pisa, I think. Wires down everywhere.

My girlfriend says the neighbor just came over to tell her that she thought the electric would be out until Saturday, as in the end of THIS week. She's grilling eggs and bacon in her nightgown on the carport, because they can't trust the ceiling in the garage.

Life goes on.

Our house got a lot of wind, and during the first and second storms, I prayed pretty hard for protection--seems that it worked. Trees across the road are down, but all of our big, old mature trees (including a 60-70 foot high pine tree) are still standing, albeit, they seem to have a slight "lean" to them now, as if they are just simply bone-weary of all the hullaballoo!

Friday night's storms brought me right out of bed and sound sleep, screaming, scared from the loud thunder, which woke my husband and scared him witless (short trip)--it's not like I could have helped it--you just don't expect thunder like that in the middle of the night like that, and I usually sleep like the dead. I guess that I can't say bombs could go off in the next county, and I wouldn't hear it anymore. I suppose that I would now, but I don't think I would care for more than a split second.

Seriously though, the storms were pretty violent. On Sunday, hubby and I went to his parents to play cards, and after his mother went to the store to get groceries, ANOTHER storm hit, and this one hit hard--74mph straight line winds that formed rotation all the way from Kalamazoo to Flint, and then we didn't hear about it anymore, but I'm sure it wreaked havoc all the way to the thumb of Michigan. It came up so fast, that mother went into the store with blue skies and light oceanic like breezes. When she came out it was nearly hurricane force winds and horizontal rain.

Really something. She was afraid that she wouldn't get into the garage, worried that the lights had gone out.

We ate dinner, played another game of canasta, and went home to take a look at the devastation--and of course, I worried a little about our house, as I'd left the window open on the south side--sure enough, the carpet in the bedroom was soaked, and the dog acted like she'd never seen people before, she was so happy to see us home and safe, but otherwise, everything was fine as could be.

And the old old pine tree was still standing sentry as if no harm could come to our home, just as long as she remains steadfast in her place.

I wax poetic.

I decided to bring my computer to work today to work on this blog. I'm enjoying this tactic. I can blog my entire lunch hour on my little puter laptop I named "The Cool Machine". It's an HP, which in some circles means "Harry Potter" and in others "Hewlett Packard". Speaking of Harry Potter, I could not be more disappointed in the last book that the author put out. I was certain that more would take place, and I am quite certain that she left a lot out in order for the movie to contain more information. The book basically sold on it's counterpart's ability--for the last book was not nearly as well written. I hope that the movie is better.

Well, I have to find a motel for this weekend's festivities, and I have to get directions to the Georgetown games, and various other things...therefore, dear reader, I will allow you to leave for the moment while I take care of business elsewhere. I hope you all have a fine day!

No comments: