Friday, June 13, 2008

We've Arrived--well, partway...

Yes, we got here about 9:45, which was 15 minutes earlier than expected, we are about an hour and a half from the actual fairgrounds. We are staying the night in Cambridge, then up before the birds to head the rest of the way. We'll arrive long ahead of the rest of the Flint bunch, but that's okay, as I have a few purchases to make.

The trip was...how do I say this...

WET.

It started to rain just as we were leaving the Lansing area, and never quit. We actually may have run into some serious weather just outside the Canadian border, but sadly there is no way to know--we could not find a radio station that we could pick up that had the weather on. Had I thought of it, I would have checked the dopplar radar for Canadian skies, but we didn't really want to stop. There was some construction, and the rest of the Flint-ites will find their trip added minutes, as traffic slows to a crawl in some places. We were lucky, as traffic was light due to the storms in the area, and all things considered, we made good time!

There was something troubling to me on the Michigan side...as we were just outside Port Huron, partway between the 193 and 194 exits, I saw a little girl's bike...relatively new, with a nice basket on it. It didn't look like it had been dropped, and with the way that the world is these days--well, you can guess, dear reader, what images flew through my mind to trouble me so. Therefore, when I got to the border guard, I turned in the sighting so that they could contact the authorities to check into the matter. Who knows? Maybe it was a bike belonging to a little missing girl from the area, and it's the clue the police need to catch a killer?

Once here, we found out the phone didn't work, so the hotel clerk moved us into a different room, which we accepted gladly, as the first room was pretty smelly--while the second one smells much cleaner and--the phone works. I had decided that I was hoping for pizza on arrival, so I asked the clerk "Best Pizza in Town?" Without missing a beat, he named TOPPER'S. We ordered a large with 2 toppings. It was more expensive than say Dominoes, but the clerk didn't lie--the pizza is exceptional!

We're stuffing our faces, and watching the news--all the flooding in Iowa--a newsman is dead from cardiac arrest, and just general mayhem in the rest of the world, but in this hotel room, things are quieting down, and Ray already has his jammies on--which reminds me...I have to wake up at 5:30am tomorrow to get ready, pack the car again, and drive the last leg of our journey.

Yummy pizza, though!

More tomorrow after the games, and before I leave the festival grounds if I am able!

No comments: