Monday, June 16, 2008

The Eyes Have It!

Well did we win in Georgetown?

No.

But we took 2nd place, and only 1 Canadian band (of the 13 bands competing there) beat us (but you should know that we beat them in Alma, so it must be we're pretty evenly matched!)

Ray and I got going first thing in the morning, and started out with sunshine and dew! Promised to be a nice, cool, beautiful day.

Then it clouded over, and the weather was even cooler.

We arrived in Georgetown within an hour, and parked and headed out hunting for the rest of the crew, which we knew would already be there. We checked out the vendor booths, and there sure weren't many of those--we didn't see much of anything that caught our eye except for a kilt pin with an enamel drum on it and a drum major's staff--but the piece cost too much, so I couldn't afford it.

Then the sun came out.
And the world became our oven.

Add a few pounds extra of virgin wool, and you've got a suit to bake in.

And the dancers! My goodness, they were all so good! There was one young lady, dressed in 'Trews' and dancing--I thought she was the best--simply because she was wearing the correct uniform for the particular dance she was doing.

But it was 'back and forth' across the fairgrounds to get to where we needed to be, and after while, my feet began to bother me. After competing, I sat down and didn't get up again until it was time to pack for home. I was so exhausted, that I didn't play in the closing ceremonies.

Flint's Grade IV took Second Place. Pentanagore took First away from us after losing to us in Alma, and our Juvenile Band took a second (which was a sort of forgone conclusion, since there were only 2 bands in the competition). I can't wait to get my hands on the score sheets and comments.

One of the drummers was really miffed about the drumming judge, who said that we had the best drum corps out there---so why did we only get 5th place in drumming? My thought? I think it was the tenors.

Why?

Because the bass drummer decided to change one part 5 seconds before we went into competition, and since I was asked/told not to play there, I didn't. The end result was total silence when the drums quit playing, and this was not surprising. The bass drummer asked the people who are far too timid about playing something new to play. Had he asked me to do it we might have had a fighting chance...then again, I might have choked, too. No way to know that now, as it's all over but the crying on Thursday night's practice.

And crying there will be.

Well, I'm going to check out some drums. More, perhaps at lunchtime.

No comments: