Saturday, March 13, 2010

Contest Tank, Continued

Finished...50 little flowers.

Finished...50 little flower centers made of puffy fabric paint. Now they are in the closet on a cookie sheet to dry. This will take 3 days.

Intent...

1. Lay Sweater flat on table.

2. Toss little flowers in the air over tank.

3. Glue down where they lie.

This way I get a really random placement, and it looks a little more like nature, rather than "Tenna's sewing hand", which I figure is infinitely more pleasurable.

I did crochet a rose and a sprig of greenery, but the greenery is really the wrong color, and the rose is lovely, but too heavy for the tank fabric, and I worry that it will cause the shoulder to droop and ultimately, that the rose will lay right on top of my boob.

Not a good plan, in any case.

Today, I'm preparing to go see my sister in law, and we are going to head to the Jackson Women's Expo. She, if you follow my blog at all, had surgery last weekend for a kidney biopsy. Real surgery for a biopsy?! Well, she was off her game a few days, but seems she's back to the races now, and with a little pent up energy, she's looking forward to going to the Expo. A few days cooped up in the house will do that to you, I suppose.

Between projects, and can't find my raglan sweater pattern book, which disturbs me to no end! I know what color the cover is, and about how big the book is, and I can find it NOWHERE.

But the coffee is good.

So instead I decided to try Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket, and all is going along very well, with the exception that I cast on with size 6 needles, and had to move to size 9's because the fabric was too tight--so of course, the edge of the cuff is much tighter than the fabric of the sweater, and that looks a little odd, but since I'm using scrap yarn and it's likely to be too small for anyone in my family, I'm thinking of donating it when it is done--elsewise, if there's not enough scrap yarn, I'll just drop it into a project bag when I run out and head over to something more challenging--maybe lace or the like.

Need more coffee.

Yesterday, I had two doctor appointments, and rather than rush around trying to be here or there, I scheduled both on the same day, and took the day off work. Mental note: You usually regret doing that. Anyway, after the appointments, I decided to head to this new yarn shop my son goes to--it's called Double Ewe (get it?) Yarn and Crafts. A very small store, with not a lot of stock, but lots of friendly people, and a cozy little place around a round table (around? a round? hmm..) and good conversation. I guess Tuesday is their "Knit Night" when all the local ladies who knit (notice the rapid distinction, there) come, and I'm thinking April--after the contest tank is finished...of course, it would be a GREAT place to go to actually FINISH the tank. So I'm a little on the fence about "this coming Tuesday night". But anyway, I decided to take my white dishcloth cotton, and finished up my basketweave dishcloth, gave the pattern to my son, and talked all afternoon knitterly, as if I were a master knitter (yeah, right..I suppose there was one person in the room who believed that--and I think he's related to me somehow....), waxing philosophically on the best bind off and cast on for socks, etc. We listened to Barry Manilow--quietly thank goodness, on CD. I like Barry Manilow, but not all afternoon. Now Barry WHITE on the other hand...he can eat crackers in bed, for all I care, as long as he talks during the wild thing--if you know what I mean. (Wow! Digressions Galore!)

So I taught my son how to cable without a cable needle, and the shop owner asked me how I do it, and she was pretty impressed. The store is a good place to go to knit with other knitters, that isn't my local bunch, who are pretty much master knitters in their own right...so it's a real spirit lifter to share all the techniques that I've learned from my Monday night group with others. I feel like I'm still quite a long way from "master knitter" considering the sort of stuff master knitters design...for instance, there's this cabled golfer's hat that I bought years ago, that I still want to make someday just for the experience--not because I look good in hats, mind you.

Dry quickly, little flowers! I have plans for you!

In the meanwhile, I need to prepare for the Expo. It's almost 8:30am, and I haven't taken a shower yet. I have to be someplace in 1.5 hours, so I'd best get going. The coffee is really good this morning, though.

I'm thinking of taking something small to work on, such as socks. I have the yarn. I could get going on it very easily and quickly. I need to prepare my little project bag (which currently has my Princess shawl in it--it will need to go into a plastic bag in favor of sock yarn and size 1 addi's. I am off to the races.

Maybe the muses, or the ether can remind me where my Raglan Sweater Book is? The wonder and worry over it is driving me crazy.

No comments: