Friday, March 19, 2010

Contest Tank-Fears and Jeers

Well, I am very miffed.

I think I may have decided that I'm not going to enter Phlox in the Red-Heart Contest.

Why?

Because they sent out these little fliers to the stores with all the information about the contest, who, what, where, when, how--and save the WHY for people who read the

'OFFICIAL RULES'

on the website which basically states:

'we can take your design, make a pattern and sell it by the thousands to people and not pay you a penny royalty, because we gave you the possibility of earning a $500 gift card for JoAnn's just to try.'

Which basically means, that if you win, you lose your pattern and design and it becomes theirs, and you get $500 to spend at JoAnn's, or you lose the contest, and they get your pattern and design and it becomes theirs, and you get nothing.

Which to me, seems like highway robbery. You literally sign your rights to the pattern away just to compete.

That's wrong. That's very wrong.

So my sweater, pretty Phlox, stays home. Perhaps I'll write the pattern down, perhaps not-but if I *do*, I'll sell the idea on RAVELRY and make some money for myself that I can spend anywhere.

Shame on you, Red Heart!

I am so disappointed! To come all this way, only to find out at the last minute that the yarn company just wants to steal from the people who buy their yarn? I've a mind to boycott!

Not only that, I might even include the jeers on Ravelry--I just think it's dirty pool to fail to include the "oh by the way" on the flier--but you know what? I think I've heard of other companies doing things similarly--making you sign your rights away so that you get a little bit of public exposure, but they get all the MOOLAH.

Well, quite honestly, exposure is over-rated. I want the Moolah. I really want the moolah, since just now I got my Verizon bill, and it's nearly $300--this makes no sense whatsoever. So I have to check into it and find out what the heck is going on...AGAIN.

I hate Verizon too. Why oh why did I get a Verizon phone? I was quite happy with my Sprint phone! I won't be staying with them, that's for darn sure.

*****

So hubby is doing homework, trying to catch up with an assignment he missed, and I'm working on these Leyburn socks. Sorry, Red Heart-NOT YOUR PATTERN. I need a drink.

Oh, and as an aside?

I have lots of this Red Heart Eco-Cotton left. I'm planning another tank top that is multi-colored. I'll be scanning RAVELRY for a possible candidate later tonight.

Grrr. Red Heart. I'll never buy another skein!

No comments: