Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesday Knight Nit Knight

There's a new yarn shoppe in the town where my son and his grandmother live. It's called Double Ewe Yarn Shoppe. It's a small, cozy shop with two nice owners who are both quite personable, and on Tuesday night, they offer a knit-night get-together, bring your project or problems for resolution.

I decided I'd go, since hubby was in class and wouldn't be home for hours. I took my little sock bag (with my socks) and headed for the store as soon as work would allow it.

The day seemed to drag, so at break and lunch, due to the warm (yes, I did say WARM) weather, I decided to take a long walk, and just generally enjoy the sunshine that we haven't seen, low these many months. I didn't even wear a coat! And when I arrived at my mother's place, my son and I got out our knitting and sat on the patio and knit, then we stood up and walked to the knit-night.

I'm working on some Leyburn Socks from Ravelry. I've got this yarn--I don't remember which kind it is, because I lost the ball bands, but it has very short color changes, and so the yarn wasn't pooling the way I had hoped. Then I remembered that these Leyburn Socks are good for this sort of yarn, and so, after knitting a little on the heel, I started the Leyburn pattern on the foot--as these socks are toe up.

I'm really liking the pattern. Very easy to memorize. This one is sure to become a favorite.

The knit-night was a nice time, and a great time was had by about 14 people--and I didn't have fights with my son, either! That was a real plus. I suppose as long as I keep our conversations to knitting and learning about knitting, we will get along just fine. I think it's pretty cool that he's already designing in his head what he wants to do with his newest project, and putting his thoughts on paper as to how many rows to do this or that. I might see one of his patterns on Ravelry one day...

So, if you're reading this, kiddo, you should put that bureau scarf on Ravelry when you're done with it. Remember to take good notes, and make it available for free. This is your plug.

The pattern is an easy one, just knit and purl, so you have to know how to cast on, knit, purl, how to change between each one and cast off. Size is around 18x30 or so.

So after knit night, my son and I walked back to my mother's, and since I was chilled, I went inside for a minute, then walked to my car. I drove to Meijer's and got gas and milk, then I drove home listening to the Beach Boys in my car's cdrom.

When I got home, I worked a little more on my Leyburn Socks. Here's the progress..

Leyburn

No comments: