Sunday, March 28, 2010

Some People are Just Insane!

I belong to a vast number of groups on Yahoo. They range from groups for recipes for Low-Carb to Knitting (of course), and as you are aware (if you've been reading my blog since it's inception), bagpipe band drumming.

I come across novel emails only once in a blue moon, and it takes me several weeks to filter through to find those which are even slightly "blog worthy"--those that get up my ire (or what have you) and cause me to write back--for whatever reason--to the original poster.

I also belong to Ravelry, which I figure is probably 99% a good thing, and the other part, well--clearly might be for a group that possibly doesn't include me, and so I sort of giggle over it and figure "ah, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater". Which to me, means, don't throw out a good thing just because you have to wade through 75% or more to find something that you personally don't "like"."

I had just such an email and wanted to share with my readers. Granted, my email was written MONTHS after the original poster had complained. It just takes me a long time to wade through 99% of a good thing to find the 1% I find gets up my own irksomeness (yes it's a word, shaddup!)

The original email (sadly) is no longer available, however, I do have a comment the original poster shared in response to one of the more liberal posters who commented in general to the original theme...and so this is constituted my reaction...

Posted January 5, 2010:

"And this is the breakdown of our society. I will never think it's ok to use
the f-bomb in a knitting pattern description no matter how many times it's
said on a forum or in movies or in your own home. If a "designer" can't
think of another adjective to use in their description, then I'm skeptical
of the brain power behind the "design". Where does it stop? Where is the
line drawn? Is there any line? Anything goes is not ok. If you think
otherwise, you are part of the problem instead of the solution. Everybody
screams "censorship" and common decency dies? Kids don't notice? You don't
have many kids around then. Kids notice everything. My nieces are pre-teen
and teens and they are not sheltered and they sure did notice and they were
offended and wondered why it was allowed. They may hear it in movies and
they may hear it from friends, but they sure don't expect to hear it from
their Aunt or anything she's associated with. That's not cool for them. Why
would guidelines in posting patterns be censorship?
You don't understand the need to use cuss words yet you defend a right for
others to do it. Where does this stop? I think the point is being missed
here."

Lest I get overly abraded by this person's attitude by re-reading it, let me just say now that it does disturb me. A LOT. I'm sort of a live and let live sort. I try hard to let others be, and only speak my own mind when I feel that something is getting out of joint. Clearly, this one *IS*. Granted, they have a right to their opinion, and that's fine. But this email is about RAVELRY! I was shocked! I felt like this poster was attempting to trample all over my civil rights as guaranteed by the Constitution--something that simply rubs me literally over the cheese grater! (In other words, *THE WRONG WAY*!)

The original post occurred in response to "my neices" viewing a knitted penis (a BIG one!) and some "objectionable language" used in the description of some design ON RAVELRY. (Yes, I've seen the knitted penis--once--when I was searching for something, and it popped up (pun intended). I've also seen a knitted boob and a crocheted thong! So what?!) I came, I saw, I stared, I looked again, I laughed, I moved on. That was my own reaction. The "foul language" has been a part of Ravelry since it's inception, since when we originally signed up to belong, oh, so long ago, we were asked then what our favorite cuss words were. I think mine went something along this line...

"&)*&&#^#& and don't you forget it!"

The beginning of the post I tend to agree with, but then it goes off on a tangent that plainly identifies the person as someone who would like to share opinions, just not when you disagree with them, and clearly would have you live your life EXACTLY the same way as they do; a sort of force my religion on you sort of behavior. *ahem*. Everyone has a right to judge for themselves. Everyone has the right to boycott something if they find it's not for them. They DO NOT have the right to tell anybody else how to live, and other's on the list believed likewise. Before I go on, here's my reply to the poster:

Entered 3/27/10:

"
I think Ravelry is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think Free Speech is one of the Greatest things that's ever happened in this country!

Just my nickle, but I have to agree with the folks on the side of the fence that sticks with Freedom of Speech.
That said, I do find it objectionable that there's an f word on Ravelry--a tad uncouth there...but there's no accounting for some people's taste in language. You'd think they'd realize that they're being judged as being in poor taste and showing the lack of their own intelligence. I mean, they could have just typed in *)(*&$#^#^ for heaven's sake...but I digress.

I suppose you find the knitted boob objectionable? These are for mastectomy patients, but the knitted weenie is not for guys who need extra padding in their shorts. A simple pair of socks would do the trick for that!! (tongue FIRMLY in cheek). Chalk it up to SHOCK FACTOR.

I ran across a crocheted thong one day at the office on Ravelry, and darn near had an apoplexy!

Gotta know, I got out of that right now!

But you, as parent (ish) need to pre-review EVERY website, not just those you THINK may be objectionable, and use your discretion. That's your right. However, to ASSUME that everyone else has to change their tastes in exchange for yours, is a bit presumptuous. Now, before you get on a high horse and start flaming, please keep in mind that I have a right to my view, just like you do. You have a right to have a problem with it. You have a right to stop going there. But you do not have the right to force your views on other adults and make them to follow your choices for their lives.

Sorry, but that is the way it is, and the reason why the Constitution is written the way it is, and the reason why it's worked for some 200 odd years.

As for kids noticing or not, I think they do...but I think more for the giggle factor than anything else. Let me tell you, the more you react to something, the more "NO!", the more titillating it's going to be to the kids. Better to talk about it briefly, laugh about it-make fun of it, then drop it. That way, it's more likely to be forgotten than remembered in secret hiding places.

You have every right to draw the line in your own home. You have a right to complain. Ravelry has the right to maintain their standards as well. Seems to me that when we signed up, we were asked "What's your favorite cuss word?"

To to a point, I do agree with you, but when you started spouting reactionary lingo, I basically shut down.

In the same vein, I didn't go see the art exhibit that included a crucifix in a beaker of human whiz either--my right to boycott.

I'd rather be knitting...where'd those socks go?"

Anyone who knows me, realizes that the *tongue firmly planted in cheek* is more for smile factor--rather than argument--to diffuse the situation; however, it was apparently tossed aside by the reader. I am not one to force my beliefs and credos on others. I am NOT one to sit on the fence--IT IS NOT MY RIGHT to tell someone else how to live. IT IS MY RIGHT to judge what is right for MY OWN LIFE. I sit FIRMLY on the right side of the spectrum (as opposed to the left, not the *wrong*); but recognize that everyone has a right to decide for themselves--because GOD calls, and JESUS saves...not me. Now, I can live my life in such a way that those who do not live according to God's plan can SEE and DECIDE again, for themselves, and if my life shines as an example, and puts their own life in shoddy comparison, well then, perhaps God is calling them at that point. If this enacts change in them, then that is what was supposed to happen--not by MY WILL, but by God's Design.

No, I'm not going to get into the religion aspect here any further.

But here's this poster's reply to my email, received 3/28/10

"Why thanks for the untimely, lengthy and unsolicited opinions. This conversation was so many yesterdays ago. You are entitled to all your opinions of course, but I don't really care what they are. And No, I'm not against knitted boobs for mastectomy patients. It's amazing how one can form such strong opinions about someone they don't even know and from one email. You don't know me at all and therefore have no right to tell me what I need to do as a parent or a parent (ish) as you called me. In fact, you have no right to force your arrogance into my day at all.
I'm also entitled to my opinions. Imagine that.
Don't bother writing me again because I will delete it before I read it. Life is way too short to put up with someone on a knitting list lecturing me in an email and telling me I'm using reactionary lingo. In whose opinion...yours? Who the hell are you to think that I would care what you think? I don't even know you. If you aren't part of the solution, you are the problem."

So, I guess I'm part of the problem. I don't think I am, but I could be wrong. Who knows? I just know that Ravelry is, for the most part, a good thing, just like I believe that 90% of society is basically "good". I stand by that observation. Just like I stand by the idea that I believe the poster means well, and is really reacting to the 1-10% who ARE the problem--the ones who rob, steal and destroy the quality of life that we try to build in our own world to shelter our children and those we love. I react to that 1-10% too! I have no beef with that part. But to expect RAVELRY to change it's guidelines? The internet is a free exchange of ideas and etc.. Yes, there is objectionable material on the internet. Yes, we have to be vigilant and watch out for it. Yes, we have a right to not look at it if we choose. But, NO, we do not have the right to tell others what they can or can't post there. If the poster doesn't like it, they have a right to throw out the baby with the bathwater and never turn on the internet again! Sadly, I think that's cutting off your nose despite your face, but there you go.

I also believe that smoker's have a right to smoke. If they want to destroy their lives, that's their business. But I don't believe that I should have to smell their smoke in a restaurant (or other public place). Yes, I could boycott the restaurant. So can they--if they don't agree with the restaurant's policies. I did not believe that government had to get involved and make a law that said "No smoking in public places (basically)." Still, I think it's a good idea--since I'm a non-smoker, and it's better for the health of all the patrons (not just the non-smokers) and staff that they don't have smoking in their establishment/business/office, whatever have you. The internet has no such health issues. I also don't like smokers who leave their cigarette butts laying everywhere. That's a public annoyance. Litter. And the smell of a stale cigarette butt? Ew. Now, lest you think I'm saying ALL SMOKERS do this, I'm not. But those who do, ruin things for those who are sensitive to other people's sensitivities. Again, that 10% thing. I can wrinkle my nose at somebody walking down the street, holding a smoking cigarette in their hands as they walk down the street, but I can eventually come back to clean air when I'm outside. I can't do it shut up inside a building. There is just no "getting upwind" inside a building. Outdoors, I do it all the time!

In like vein, should Ravelry decide that it can remove things deemed "objectionable" by a few (myself could be included in that respect) then, where will RAVELRY stop? Would the knitted boob be removed to the adult section? Yes, I believe it should be--as it's also part of a naked body! YIKES! I think that's the wrong design. That thong? Since *I* can't wear it, (without looking like a complete idiot) yes, it's objectionable. Remove it. And that picture of a naked baby, avatar for (whoever, since I made that up), yes, it's objectionable. Remove that person's access to Ravelry until they change it. Before long, there'll be no Ravelry for anybody!

So thank you, no ma'am. I will keep the guarantee of free speech, safely in the hands of the Constitution...no matter the cost to myself. If I were offended so easily by 10% of the population, there would be no one else on this earth to speak to--because I would have removed all of them at one time or another, since they are ALL slightly different than me. Some would be removed later, some sooner. But you get my point. I am not God, and glad of it.

I hope you're glad of it, too! :)

No comments: