Saturday, March 20, 2010

Saturday is Living History Day

Batten down the hatches Randy, I'll be passing by your trailer today! I'll be sure to honk my horn from I-96 and wave out the window to make sure ye see me! (sorry about that--I've been reading Diana Gabaldon's next "Highlander" book).

Yes, today is living history show at the Kalamazoo Fairgrounds, and I can barely stand the wait. The weather is holding out (just a little wetness on the ground), and the snow storm they'd been predicting tracked to the south, instead of coming our way. The temps did drop, so wearing my gear might be troublesome (as in not warm enough). And I might have to wear my thermal undies below.

My intent this year is to look around at wool fabrics. Gather together some colors for use in rug hooking. Not that I've begun my project, mind you, but the time is coming.

I have my 50% off coupon for JoAnn's as well, and they have a cutting machine that I might just buy.

I plan to bead with my sister in law this Sunday, and then I have a class afterward for the knitted baby hat. The next classes aren't until the following Sunday, but I'm hoping for more signups today.

Ray and I will probably hit the ground running at 8 am this morning, pick up my sister in law at Battle Creek about 9, and arrive at the Living History Show about 10, when it opens, and stay until about 2--whereupon we will depart and head for the Galesburg McDonald's, arriving perhaps about 2:30 to 3:00 for our lunch/supper.

If my ex doesn't show colors during that time (sort of a pirate reference, again with Diana's book), we'll head out rather promptly, with only a star to guide us. I will likely drive Ray's car, and I'm a little concerned about seating arrangements, as Jen just had surgery, and I don't think she should be navigating the attempt to get into the back seat of a two door car! It means Ray will be in the back seat, which isn't entirely fair--but he wants me to drive. I would stay in the back and knit for all that!

Oh, and I finished the heels on my Leyburn socks last night. I had to increase the stitches on the heel side (about 5 stitches each side of the heel), then did the short row (wrap and turn style), and now I'm decreasing those extra 5 stitches, which means I'm on my way up the leg.

SMASHING! FABULOUS!

There was a concern that the socks would be too short, but with the extra "gusset style" stitches, the heel is PERFECT, and the sock fits my foot wonderfully! I do have a couple of holes which I will tidy those up with some waste yarn, but otherwise, everything is VERY well done. I also have to remember to decrease a stitch on the back to get back to 72 stitches, because the pattern calls for a multiple of 6 + 1, rather than "borrow" one for the instep, I just increased one and figured I'd decrease one on the back at some point down the sole, but then I forgot, and didn't do it on the heel--too involved concentrating on which stitch I was on--so perhaps the next decrease row, I will.

And I have to shower now, so if you'll excuse me...

No comments: