Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reading...

Not Pennsylvania, but close--

I've been reading a book, a series, really, by Diana Gabaldon. It's the latest one of the "Outlander" series. The title is "An Echo in the Bone".

I'd consider it in the genre of 'historical novel', since most of it takes place at some point in history, both present and past, weaving them together with the fanciful tales of the Scottish standing stones. The author takes much creative license with this idea, and the history is probably not meant to be completely 'factual', but it makes a reasonably good read.

My only complaint about it is that it ends with a fair number of loose ends, some very distressing--especially the kidnapping of one of the children of one of the main characters, and so folks have to go back to the past to find said kidnapped child, when in fact the kidnapper hasn't yet taken the child through the stones.

But the novel has left me with a little bit of scottish lilt in my voice at times, which happens when I'm close to someone who talks that way, and the way the book is written, it's as if they are

RIGHT THERE.

Some strong emotions in this book. A good read the last 80-100 pages that I could not put down, hoping to come to a satisfying conclusion about the kidnapping, but such did not happen.

So there will be another book.

I'll have to return this one to my friend, so that she will loan me the next one when it comes out.

No comments: