Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bearly Progress

Not really much to show for it, but I have started the arms.

As I write this, I am really cold. Hubby has not lit a fire for the last two days and nights, and if I couldn't be mad enough at him--now I can add freezing my arse off. In a few days, he starts his new job, and I'll be home alone at night, and will need a fire. I'm sure that I'll have to be the one to make it. Then when he gets home to sleep, he'll have a nice warm house. He's very selfish that way, sometimes.

Today, I have to clean house for a while, then grocery shop. There's truly not much meat in the house--really there is meat, but it's frozen (same as me, not that I'm bitter), and neither of us wants to take the time to thaw it out, cook it and then eat it. And since he's been no help at all in the meal department lately....well, you get my idea.

I don't move well when I'm too hot or too cold. Even now, he's comfortable, and he's snoring behind me. Some days, I'd just like to boot his rump out of bed. I'm exhausted, up drinking coffee at 5am, and he lies there snoring. It's enough to really piss me off.

I've been doing a little reading on my kindle, and have finally gotten going on "The Winter Garden", which is admittedly a book I probably would never read--but a friend suggested it, and so I decided to download it. It was a pretty expensive book ($13), and probably cost that much because it's still in hard cover, but my friend doesn't suggest stupidity, I have to admit that much. This is a really good story about a family whose mother lived through the Stalin era, and then through the war with Germany right in the thick of it, in Leningrad, and how it changed her--how it colored her life and how it was reflected in the way she raised her children. I'm assuming that there's going to be a reunion with family members that were thought lost at the end of the book (such is the predictability of these things, you see), and the surprise and the heartache of at least 5 decades of lost love. A researcher in the history of the time has contacted the mother years ago, and in her fear about finding out the truth of her family and children in Leningrad, she opted not to discuss these things with the researcher, instead to try to focus on the family she has in the here and now.

There's more to come, I'm sure, but that's as far as I've gotten. The three women have decided to take a trip to see the researcher to find out what he knows. Of course, he is in a nursing home, and there is no use trying yet to determine if he's in his right mind, or if he's there simply because he broke a leg or something, but clues point to the idea that he might be senile. Or perhaps he's her "gone to war" husband who never came back, and she didn't want her American husband to know--or whatever have you--there is a lot more to come, since I'm only halfway through the book. Such is the way of this sort of thing...so to find out the rest of the story, you will have to read the book yourself.

 Again, the book is Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah, and you can purchase it here...

So I have some crocheting to do on the bear and this book. Right now, all I want to do is crawl back between the covers and try to fall asleep again. Perhaps I will. The coffee is cold now.

No comments: