Monday, July 4, 2011

Yesterday's Cards...

Well, I think I found out who the Queen of Wands turned out to be...

Last night, a ginger cat, very much like my Chat, turned up on my back porch--yowling like an alley cat.

I took a little food out. He seemed hungry. He ate half and then ran off. He's definitely not feral, but he's lost--as if someone recently dropped him off here (like they did last year to that poor, half starved kitten. Now, hubby won't let me have another indoor cat. My step son doesn't live here anymore, so I can't palm this cat off on him, either. Hubby says it's fine if the cat stays outdoors, but there's really no place for him to stay in the winter, because the barn is all closed up. He's had fleas or ticks biting him, so I'm going to put some of the stuff on him that keeps those parasites off, then I'm going to try and befriend him and take him to the vet and get him fixed, so that he's not out there making babies and bringing more kittens around.

I hate when people just drop their pets off at our house. They think that just because we have a barn that we have all sorts of money to take care of extra pets, and that is just not so. Even so, I think that's what I'm supposed to use this extra money for--neuter the cat. I hate to have to do that to an outdoor cat--they often don't last long, and he'll probably find another home where they can take him in (already neutered). He's very loving, and seems to have been someone's pet already--but there's no telling WHOSE pet he was. It's also possible that he climbed up on top of a wheel well of someone's car, who stopped to the neighbor's house, and when he felt safe, he ran off. That happens a lot. Then some little girl calls for her cat, and it's not there, and never comes. I've had that happen to me.

But more often than not, it's the irresponsible type who just drop off poor defenseless kittens to starve. That's a hateful thing. I'll try to get a picture of him later. He looks just like my lovin' kitty, Chat. I mean, they could be twins, except Chat is quite a lot older. I would say the kitten is about 6 months old. He's good size, and seems to be reasonably good at hunting. But he was quite thin, so I gave him some food. If he shows up again, I'll feed him some more and maybe set out some clean water. Poor thing.

No comments: