Friday, April 9, 2010

Hey! Who Turned Off the Light?

Okay, we have had rain and clouds for the last 4 days! What gives!? I was enjoying the sunshine and warm weather so much--even my outside flowers were having a riot!

Suddenly, all we have is clouds, rain, and really seriously cold weather!

After work yesterday, I walked to my car as I usually do. I unlocked the door, as I usually do. I tossed in my things, as I usually do. I put my key in the ignition, as I usually do. I turned the key, as I MUST do if I want to go home.

And nothing.

The lights came on, but there was nobody home under the hood.

So, I called my husband to come and get me and I got out my knitting. Funny how opportunity knocks, right? But the fact that my car won't start isn't funny. I know that it's once again the anti-theft mechanism, just as it was for my Buick Regal. This is a $2 fix, so it's not a big deal, but it sure is annoying! There are other things it could be, of course, but it sure feels like the anti-theft mechanism. So when my husband arrived, it had quit raining for a little bit, and he popped the hood and set up jumper cables.

"That isn't going to work," I said. "Because it's the anti-theft device. I know what it feels like from the Regal. Is the alternator belt okay? It should be, since I have lots of dash lights."

But he tried the jumper cables anyway, asking me to turn over the key a few times...no result. Deader than dead. Not even a click, click, click of the starter!

Then it started to rain. And he gave up. I don't blame him. I sat in the car and finished the socks.

And then we took his car home.

So when we got home, I tried on the socks. I would have tried them on in the car, but it's a little bit cramped. They are too long, even for ME! And the recipient is a half-shoe size smaller than me....so I had to rip out about 6 rows--which was all the knitting I did in the car, you understand--and this frustrated me a little. But rip I did, and I put them on string for Tuesday, and dropped them in their bag. I did no further knitting last night, but I did make dinner and ran two loads of dishes through the dishwasher! The kitchen is clean again!

So today, I get to drive the Impala to the office. I will check on my car on the way through to make sure it hasn't been stolen or some idiot thing like that, then onward. This weekend, we'll pick it up with the dolly and bring it home. My step son will check it out and figure out what went wrong. I figure that I'll stick my key in, and it will start--because that's how the Regal used to be. It would hang up at first, and then 10 tries or so later, start right up. I'm expecting something similar with my Grand Am.

I'll pack some knitting.

No comments: