Sunday, April 4, 2010

Market Bag

The market bag is together, but I have to figure out a different edging for it. I did a lot of editting to the pattern, to the point where it doesn't even LOOK like the original article! I knit an i-cord band for the handle, because I thought it would hold up a little better than a lace handle, and I did some garter rows in between the lace to give it a little more holding power--it's just all around a better bag--but now I'm stuck trying to figure out an edging for the handle, because the i-cord rather "bunched" the end of the lace, bringing some of the lace to the inside of the handle--which is fine, except that the lace edge needs SOME sort of finishing to hide the yarn carry on the one edge and to keep the thing from stretching out on the other side.

And I want to do it in the navy so that the lime really pops out at you.

And since pictures are worth thousands of words...

The bag that so far, everyone loves!

IMG00054.jpg

And the inside edge where I want to put some sort of "edging" to keep it from stretching out...

IMG00055.jpg

I figure I'll just take a crochet hook and crochet around the edge--which would be SKADS faster--but the pattern calls for knit--and I'm running out of the navy (and it appears that one of the navy skeins was shy SEVERAL yards).

Yesterday was a really busy day for me, and it started at 6 am. I got up and ready for work at JoAnn's, read email until my eyes were buggy, and then drove in, my bag and knitting in tow, as well as knowing that I was going to have to stop for something to eat and all that. I expected that I would demo until the class started, then teach the really cute baby hat. A hat which a novice could only be frustrated knitting because it's on dpns and because there are SO MANY COLOR CHANGES! So, I decided before I arrived that I was going to tell the students to just use ONE color for the first go round, and that there would be plenty of yarn left to make "other hats" for charity giving!

It was a good plan, and it worked. I demoed with the bag, which everyone loved, and when the students showed up, I got another shocker! While trying to amass more students into the class, the coordinator had, completely by mistake, ushered in a student that didn't know how to knit! This particular student hadn't had the 101 class, and was now in the 102 class. Well, I taught TWO classes in one yesterday. While she was learning how to knit, she was also getting the instruction on how to work the baby hat. Since she'd been exposed to the baby hat already, I simply gave her the pattern to take home and review--to try it out, and then she could come in with questions. Seemed like a logical thing to do at the time, since she'd already paid for the class!

When class was over, I drove home in a fog from the Benedryl, got off on the wrong exit, and then had to back-track. Finally got home, and had to gather everything together again to head to Battle Creek. Hubby's Aunt's Mother-In-Law (if you can follow all of that, you're a better mind than I am) died on Saturday, and we drove down to support and console the family. They all loved my bag.

We ate a little something more, and then took off for home. I'm still in a Benedryl fog. We arrived home about 10pm, and I literally fell into bed snoring.

However, hubby didn't sleep at all. Occasionally, I could feel him toss and turn. He's still asleep. We're supposed to be at his daughter's house at noon, and it's after 11! I've been trying to wake him, but all he does it fall right back to sleep.

I think I should call the kids and let them know we're not going to make it, but I think hubby was really looking forward to it. Sad thing is, there's just no way that we'll make it by noon--since he want's to shower, and we need to eat something. There's just no way.

I want to finish the market bag. YES! I think I'm going to give it to my hubby's aunt, after it's been a store sample for the Lake Odessa store. Maybe they will let me teach a class on it? That might be SWEET! Perhaps I should write up my pattern and sell it on Ravelry. I've changed it enough that it's completely different from what it used to be.

Well, I'm going to try to wake the bear again, and try to get him to go to breakfast. AHA! He's on his feet! RUN!

No comments: